• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Multiple B12 shots? dosing?

My son's B12 was in the normal range, but low (200's). Fatigue is his worst symptom. Thee GI gave him one B12 shot this summer and said it was enough B12 for a whole year. My son felt like he had more energy the very next day, but that was it. I've read here that some people get more frequent B12 shots but I could not really find any good articles on B12 shot recommendations (you can easily get lost in the internet marketing for supplements). I appreciate any information you share.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
If someone requires B12 then I have never heard of them receiving an injection only once a year.

Regimes do vary and there are some here that receive at least monthly. The most common regime I come across in my work, and it is the one Sarah is on, is a loading regime of one injection every two weeks for 6 weeks and then one injection every 3 months. If someone has a severe deficiency then the loading can be every second day for 3 shots and then monthly for a while.

Dusty. xxx

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
I agree with Dusty, I have shots once a month, I have to say I have never heard of once a year. I don't have a lot of energy after, but I know my Gi says I was low.

I get B12 injections months, however, last week my GI checked my B12 level and it wasn't the greatest, but it wasn't in the low 200's. Mine was 313. He ordered an injection of B12 with a dosage of 2,000mcg, and said we'd repeat the labwork in three weeks. If no improvement or if it worsens.....my doc said he'd increase the dosage to 5,000mcg and we'd keep going from there.

I usually feel pretty decent after receiving the injections, but when it wears off....holy cow do I feel exhausted. I can tell when my B12 and Vitamin D are low. I become extremely moody, chills or cold spells, extremely fatigued, depression is worse, as is the amount of headaches I get, and I just feel horrible from head to toe.

Fyi...my GI also said that he's seen the dosage of these injections go up to 10,000mcg!!

I had asked him if I should take an oral B12 supplement to help out but he said it'd be a waste of time and money, as I'd have to take mega, mega doses of the pills to even attempt to make a dent in my numbers.

How's your son's Vitamin D level? I can honestly tell you that when both my B12 and Vitamin D levels are in the appropriate range and I'm taking them as required...I feel great! It's unreal how much of your physical and emotional well-being are affected by these vitamins when they're grossly deficient.

I hope your son's B12 comes up quickly and remains normal. Good luck with everything! :)

How's your son's Vitamin D level? I can honestly tell you that when both my B12 and Vitamin D levels are in the appropriate range and I'm taking them as required...I feel great! It's unreal how much of your physical and emotional well-being are affected by these vitamins when they're grossly deficient.

I hope your son's B12 comes up quickly and remains normal. Good luck with everything! :)
Thanks for all the replies.

Earlier this year his Vit D was just 19 .. so low. I will ask what dose was used in his B12 shot. (Good to know about all the different dose options) I will also ask to have these levels checked again.