• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Mutaflor

So i just started taking Mutflor today for Crohn's and I will keep you posted on if it helps. I have been in a flare for 2 months, some days are better than others. I was diagnosed in 2006 with Ulcerative Colitis. I had 3 Colonoscopies and 1 sigmoidoscopy since then. I went up and down on Prednisone, Asacol, for about a year and a half before I was put in remission with Imuran and Asacol. I then started getting a lot of infections, and more frequent ones. A year later i went off meds. That was April of 2010. By October of 2010 i was really bad off, lost a lot of weight, and looked like i was dying. I went to a new doctor who only did a sigmoidoscopy and told me that i have Crohn's, not Colitis (contradicting 2 other doctors who did 3 total colonscopies with biopsies). He immediately put me on Cipro/Flagyl/6MP/Lialda. I felt better instantly as I was on 60mg of Pzone this time. After the taper i was a lot better than i was in October of 2010, but not 100%. Against doctors orders, I took myself down to 50mg of 6MP from 100mg because i was tired of the lethargy and infections, and I felt like it was killing me in a way even thought i definately helped in some ways (or did it?). I actually started having regular normal bowel movements after taking Cipro/Flagyl and then starting a bunch of different supplements and probiotics. In November 2011 I took myself off 6MP completely. My infections have decreased significantly and what i thought may have been fistulas have not reappeared. THEN, in March 2012 started 2 months of stress leading up to where I am now. Totally FUBAR and hoping MUTAFLOR works. I feel like I'm losing my mind. I was doing so well for about 9 months with barely any meds then stress AND i quit Cigarette smoking. Anyways, I'll keep you all posted. Thanks for listening.

rygon

I havent heard on this before. Not sure how good it is and just a quick scan on google shows only where to buy it (and affiliated links). Unfortunately the wiki link is pretty much the same (info on it but no citations nor links to studies).

Good luck and you will have to tell us how it goes

It's the most studied probiotic . E Coli Nissle 1917.
It's used in Germany, Canada, and a few other countries. Germans make good products. I hope that's true for Mutaflor.

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
Directly from a Mutaflor website -

Mutaflor is currently discontinued from the U.S. market respecting the FDA’s decision on the classification of the product as a“biologic” instead of it’s former status as a “medical food”

Directly from a Mutaflor website -
I don't know about the rest of you, but I don't have the time or patience to wait for the FDA to come around. Mutaflor will never be back on the US market as it was temporarily because the company doesnt want to spend a BILLION dollars on the FDA drug approval process. It's a probiotic, not a biological. It's as biologic as Acidophilous. The FDA has a monopoly on the drug approval and testing process and hence, a monopoly on our health.

Department of Gastroenterology, Hvidovre University Hospital, Copenhagen, Denmark-----Treatment of Inflammatory Bowel Disease Associated E. coli with Ciprofloxacin and E. coli Nissle in the Streptomycin-Treated Mouse Intestine
http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0022823

Maintaining remission of ulcerative colitis with the probiotic Escherichia coli Nissle 1917 is as effective as with standard mesalazine.
University of Cologne, Germany: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15479682

Probiotic Escherichia coli strain Nissle 1917 outcompetes intestinal pathogens during biofilm formation. (Mutaflor) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20110388#

Probiotic Escherichia coli Nissle 1917 Inhibits Leaky Gut by Enhancing Mucosal Integrity http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0001308

Johnny, any luck with the mutaflor? I was looking into it but noticed that I'd have to drive up to Canada to get it. Were you able to get it in the U.S.?

If you know someone in Canada have them order it and ship it to you. It helped but only after I nuked whatever was ailing me with cipro and flagyl. I had some sort of infection because I had blood and pus in my stool that went away after the cipro flagyl 500mg each x2 x 10days. I just picked up some mutaflor in Germany. It helps but depends what's going on. My friend used Xifaxan with success from all day chemist but it really is individual. What are your symptoms?

Thanks Johnny, I've pretty much experienced the same set of symptoms for countless years. I get severe pain right at the spot where my Crohn's is located, and it feels like a burning hot coal or shards of glass. It seems like I get good effect from eating oatmeal, it seems to calm things down and give me regular stools.

Try bananas. Two a day. Antibiotics if you blood and pus. Probiotics after. If you are close to Canada might be worth the trip. Bananas for sure and 8,000 iu vitamin D3 per day that is in fish oil. Carson makes good ones.

Hi Johny,
Its a few years later now. Would you recommend mutaflor? Did it work for you? I've been on it now for 3 months and its keeping my UC in remission. Alo interested in whether cannabis is still helping?

I've been in remission since May 2012. I also have not taken any broad spectrum antibiotics since OCT 2011. I believe my yearly sinus infections and z-pack was inducing flares.

I ran several carefully calculated self experiments on myself with xifaxin (now available in US) and like a box or two of the mutaflor.
Noticeable changes in stool frequency and gas bloating and had a sense that the microbiome was altered but without testing my microbiome before and after there is no way to say for sure. I will start doing such tests as soon as I can afford them.
I've found the best source of probiotics to be cultured foods and yogurt (only organic of the highest quality).

I've also found cycling diets and supplements is a good way to see what works, just remember that results will take longer and be more subtle with anything other than pharmaceutical.

I don't take oral probiotics anymore and haven't had any problems. I do have a fiber supplement that has probiotics in it that I sometimes take and there's the rub!
You have to feed the good bacteria in your gut. They like fiber for fruits and vegetables. Start with two bananas a day and hen add apples. I do an awesome banana organic mixed berry and apple smoothie that gives me nice solid stools and is anti-inflammatory.

At the end of the day, I don't know what has helped induce or keep my remission any more than I know for sure the direct cause of my first flare, but I have some sinking suspicions of what they are.

It all comes back to the basics and simplicity. The truth is self evident and tough to see when you are in the middle of a shitstorm.
For me, proper sleep, hydration, stress management, organic, cultured foods and fiber have all helped tremendously and I believe are the key to good health.

Last edited:
Hi Johnny

Hope you are well. Just wondering if Mutaflor has helped your symptoms? I'm about to go buy some in the hope that it'll give me some relief. I'm currently regularly constipated (unusual because normally I've got loose & frequent stool), extremely bloated & extremely gassy. Recent MRI shows only slight active inflammation no strictures or obstructions. I just received results of a stool analysis and it shows low e.coli levels and very high streptococcus & Lactobacillus levels which might explain my current bowel symptoms. Hopefully Mutaflor will resolve my symptoms

Regards
Michael

Hi Johnny

Hope you are well. Just wondering if Mutaflor has helped your symptoms? I'm about to go buy some in the hope that it'll give me some relief. I'm currently regularly constipated (unusual because normally I've got loose & frequent stool), extremely bloated & extremely gassy. Recent MRI shows only slight active inflammation no strictures or obstructions. I just received results of a stool analysis and it shows low e.coli levels and very high streptococcus & Lactobacillus levels which might explain my current bowel symptoms. Hopefully Mutaflor will resolve my symptoms

Regards
Michael

Michael, I can't say for sure what helped as I tried many things while I was sick. I know drinking lots of water helps all body functions. Low grade dehydration can cause long term problems. I've also steer e away from capsule probiotics in favor of fermented foods such as yogurt and kimchee. From what I've read mutaflor isn't a colonizing bacteria. I wish I could give you a better answer. Make sure to stay hydrated, avoid GMOs, pesticides, stress, insomnia, eat fiber and probiotics. Good luck. Disclaimer: Don't listen to anything I say I'm not a doctor just saying what worked for me :D. ✌

Hi Johnny

Thank you for your reply. I'm about to start a course of Rifaximin to treat some SIBO symptoms and starting the Fast Tract diet recommended by my naturopath. Hopefully that'll settle some of my problems.

Take care

I went through this just 6months ago was doing amazingly well then had heaps and heaps and heaps of stress the pain came back the blockage came back and I let the bad bacteria over grow in my gut until I nearlly killed myself.
I think I just became either depressed or withdrawn from the painkillers and now I have a stoma and other problems are poping up in my body

I went through this just 6months ago was doing amazingly well then had heaps and heaps and heaps of stress the pain came back the blockage came back and I let the bad bacteria over grow in my gut until I nearlly killed myself.
I think I just became either depressed or withdrawn from the painkillers and now I have a stoma and other problems are poping up in my body
Hi Ozboz, have you tried mutaflor again? just wondering if you have improved? I am interested to give a try to mutaflor.