• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My 19 year crohns journey

Hi,
I am 30 and was diagnosed at 11. Having Crohn's has been the hardest challenge of my life.

My growth was stunted and puberty delayed. This made middle and high school very difficult for me. Somehow I managed to still have friends, go out and enjoy "normal" life, play sports, travel, get decent grades and accepted into a good University.

I had started taking remicade at age 12.

In college I was still very scrawny. I was determined to gain an "adult" body as I felt mine was still that of a child. I began working out like a football player and eating 3-4k calories per day. I watched as my strength and weight went up like never before. I was able to attain the physique I wanted and this was a huge personal accomplishment.

After I graduated college I began working. I was constantly hit with illness which I perceived to be side effects of remicade or having Crohn's. These side effects included eczema, headache, fatigue, gum disease, skin rash, constant sickness (colds, etc), weight fluctuation, depression, and more.

After living with all these side effects for years, I finally realized that I am not truly living at all. I am confined to a prison without bars. I am convinced my only way out of this prison is to stop using remicade. I've been on remicade for 18 years.

I recently have begun a vegan diet based on whole foods. My intention is to treat Crohn's holistically and once the inflammation subsides, discontinue remicade.

Thanks for reading.

Make sure you are monitored by a doctor. I didn't go holistic but i did go off of Remicade because of expense. I ended up having a flare. I wish you the best. Let us know how you are.

Thank you for the replies. To let everyone know, I will not be doing this alone. I will keep my doctor in the loop and only discontinue remicade after symptoms have significantly improved and under the watchful eye of the doc.