• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My 22 years with Crohn's Disease

I was diagnosed with Crohn's in the 3rd grade. I was in a great deal of pain, lost a great deal of weight and became very pale. After a colonoscopy, I was diagnosed with Crohn's. I was 9 years old. I am now 31 years old and have had this for 22 years. My experience with Crohn's has been a roller coaster, with MANY ups and MANY downs. I have been on medication since being diagnosed and still take them today.

When I was 15 I had to have two surgeries. One to remove the blockage I had and a temporary colostomy bag. That was truly an experience being 15 years old. None of my friends understood, however, my teachers did. Two months later, I had the surgery reversed and no longer needed the colostomy bag. During that time I also had a port in which I had to receive medication by iv daily; in addition to oral medications. Due to this disease I was very late going through puberty. I was 16 when I started. When I got my drivers license at 15, I was pulled over all the time because I looked like a 12 year old who stole my parent's car. After my two surgeries in 2001 at 15, I had four years of remission. NO PAIN. Became a part of the popular crowd and was extremely happy. I started college and was growing into a great young man.

Then, my sophomore year, at 19, I started having problems again. I got another blockage. I again, just as I did when I was 14, was placed back on Remicade and narcotic pain medicines. It was a hard year. I had problems from May-December of 2005, that is when I was given the Remicade medications. The pain medicine helped symptoms, but I had a hard quality of life. At the end of the semester in December I had to have another bowel resection surgery. When prepping for surgery, I would not enter the room until I had internet access to check my grades for the semester. I was able to check online and found out I again my the presidents list. Yes, I made the presidents list after missing many classes, 15 trips to the hospital in a six month period and tremendous pain. School was always a top priority, no matter my illness. Knowing that, gave me comfort as I went into surgery.

After having surgery in December 2005, I returned to school in January and stayed in remission until 2014. I still took medications orally everyday during those years. In 2014 I was in the hospital seven times due to abdominal pain, diarrhea with excessive blood, throwing up, fatigue, weight loss and depression. I was finally given Humira to add to my list of medications. IT SAVED MY LIFE.

Here I am in 2017 and I take Imuran, Pentasa and Humira to control my Crohn's. I take Humira weekly. I have (knock on wood) have been in remission for three years. I had a colonoscopy as a regular check up in June which showed no activity of Crohns. I am very thankful that my gastro is very aggressive in treating my Crohn's even when I am in remission.

My advise to anyone with this horrible disease is to never lose hope. I have Crohn's Disease, but I do not let if define me. I am a school teacher, engaged and am buying a home. I volunteer with my local Crohn's organization, am honest with my employer, friends and family about my disease. Yes, it is not a sexy disease and can be uncomfortable to talk about, but I am very honest about it. I know I will have this disease for the rest of my life, and will do anything and everything possible to stay in remission and have a great quality of life.

I am happy to answer questions, and even hear tips from you about how you manage symptoms to have a quality of life.