• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My adult abdominal migraines.. and the pain involved

I am so glad to have found this group. I am 53 and have had stomach issues my entire life. I was diagnosds with abdominal migraines 1 1/2 years ago, after a colonoscopy. Along with suffering the traditional migraines as well. My sister has ocular migraines. I was saved from that one! But the abdominal migraines..Through my early adult years I would occaissionaly get sick and throw up kinda outta now where. Lots of intense pain. Usually at night. And yes the key reason for abdominal migraines in both children and adults seems to be stress. I guess I was unable to conquer my stress and brought this with me into adulthood. About 10 years ago I got so sick I ended up in the hospital because I couldn't stop throwing up. And the pain... CYRY123, you posted about the stabbing pain. The pain is soooo bad. It helps to hear that from someone who knows. I've given birth 4 times and the pain with this condition is unbelievable. Maybe its my age but since that 10 years ago I have ended up in the hospital every 1 to 2 years because I can't stop throwing up. I have another trigger. Food. If I go too long without food I get sick as well. And if I don't feed the belly it can start a chain reaction that leads to the danger point. For example I couldn't eat for 24 hours before the colonoscopy. Another time I was up early for a long day of airplane flights and just couldn't eat. Sometimes its just plain hard to eat. Usually by the time I get to the hospital my veins has collapsed and they have a difficult time getting the IV into my arm. The last two times my heart rate dropped and that is a scary new development. I believe my situation to this extreme is unique even among those of us who have it, I do not want to alarm anyone. But to have a chance to share my story with those that have an understanding means a lot. To hear that there are others that know my pain helps greatly. When I go to the doctor they think I'm overreacting. I'm loud. It hurts.... bad. One time, in a small town, I was in sick. So was my granddaughter. I could here her in the next room crying. I said
"I can hear my granddaughter crying" the doctor says "No, you don't". He thought I was being dramatic. When they took me for tests my daughter comes in and asks my husband, "How's Mom?" The doctor says "Oh! She really did hear her granddaughter! They just don't get the pain I am in... I see that most here suffer from other tummy issues. I saw a few who actually know adults who have been diagnosed abdominal migraines. I hope maybe some of them can come on and talk with me? I'd really like to hear from other who have this, and about their experiences. Thank you all for listening. I look forward to corosponding.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hi Teri’s Migraines and :welcome:

I am sorry to hear about all you have been through over the years. :(

When you look at the other end of the spectrum age wise then you will find it is not uncommon for children to be diagnosed with Abdominal Migraine in the lead up to their IBD diagnosis.

My daughter was one of these and the yes, the pain and vomiting that was associated with it was awful. It was actually the stomach pain that kept Crohn’s off the radar. As it was her disease was located in the terminal ileum but the pain didn’t manifest itself there.

Have you ever had scoping go into the ileum or have small bowel imaging done?

Are you satisfied with the diagnosis of Abdominal Migraine? I don’t wish for that to sound disrespectful, its just that I am coming from the angle of it often being used as a fall back diagnosis when it comes to kids.

Dusty. xxx