• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My anniversary

Yesterday (19th June) was my "first ride in an ambulance" anniversary - a wonderful gift courtesy of Crohn's. I don't remember a whole lot about the dash to Croydon General Hospital as it was in 1979 and it's only because I recently obtained copies of my old medical records that I know the date.

Since then I've had a few more ambulance rides, with or without sirens, but I've also had many years of a fairly normal life. The worst bit was early on, as a young man, in the years from non-diagnosis to hearing the words "Crohn's Disease" through to getting the treatment regime balanced. Once that was sorted Crohn's, and life, became a lot more manageable.

In 2000 a stricture was identified but was managed with drugs until 2009 when things started to worsen and surgery became inevitable. 2010 to the beginning of 2013 have been pretty full on medically. It's made me realise the value of the support that is out there from other Crohnies on forums such as this and Twitter. I'm now going through a quiet patch. Don't know how long it will last but I'm making the most of it.

If you're reading this as someone who is newly diagnosed, or even waiting for the diagnosis, please take heart that whilst Crohn's will be with you for life it doesn't have to be a life sentence. The early years will probably be tough but it does get better and the information available to you as a patient is so much better now.

Just something I needed to get off of my chest

Last edited: