• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My ass hurts so bad I think I'm ready to just die!

First of all, I'm scared, new, overwhelmed, and totally confused. I don't feel worthy of even putting anything on here because of the severity of what I've read from you guys. You're going through hell!!! I'm so sorry about it all. But I have deeply underestimated the power of Crohn's.

For most of last year I was on the Intermittent Family Medical Leave Act, thinking it was depression. I thought it was normal to go to the bathroom 10+ times a day. It was always diarrhea. Still is. After a bout in the emergency room running a fever of 105, an internist recommended that I get colonoscopy. I presented with all the classic symptoms of Crohn's. Nausea, fatigue, severe diarrhea, uncontrollable urge to push when having a bowel movement (and I mean push hard!), and the feeling I just wasn't through, although I had nothing left. Long story short: the colonoscopy showed a totally ulcerated large intestine and at the small intestine junction. My large intestine report card was an "F." Speeding this narrative along, I'm on Apriso, Humira, and prednisone, and have the moon face to prove it. I didn't think it was possible to gain that much weight in two months. Now, I've had another colonoscopy and have been declared "in remission." Hurrah. But alas, still I have the horrible diarrhea and the most horrible anal pain at the distal end. I am having to take TWO 7.5 Norco/Lortab/Vicoden just to try to alleviate the pain. It is absolutely horrible!!! During the procedure, my gastroenterologist asked a surgeon to come in the room to see if he could spot any fissures. Neither one saw anything!!! Dammit. What is wrong with me??? I cannot deal with this pain much longer. I'm going to see the surgeon in a week. Has anyone ever dealt with something like this. I am just feeling so terrible. And to make matters worse, I'm on a final warning at work. I cannot be tardy or absent or I'm fired. Please somebody help me.
Jimmy Lee in South Carolina

DJW

Forum Monitor
Hi Jimmy Lee and welcome.

You have been through the ringer. I'm afraid I have no answers. Keep pushing for answers.

Sending you my support.

Lady Organic

Staff member
did a biopsy declare remission? if yes, then consider irritable bowel syndrome to explain this continuing diarrhea, it can be concommitant with CD. did dr mention that? there is the FODMAP diet intended to help it.

im thinking the anal pain maybe a ''mechanical'' issue and when the Diarrhea stops, it could possibly resolve. I once had semi-internal hemmorhoids concommitant to ongoing D. It took me even several month after having regular normal bowel movement for this issue to resolve. how would you describe this pain? when how and how often does it come?

im sorry you have to go throught this and for your work as well. Try your best to have the most authentic conversation with your boss, express you havent chosen to get this disease and tell you are on your way to recovery, be emotional and authentic, this could be convincing them to give you a chance. very few people are completely insensitive, so aim for their hearts.

Thank you so much for your post. He didn't do a biopsy. It was just the colonoscopy results. I suppose he was comparing it to the last one. As for the pain, it is a sharp, cutting pain. Often times it's a throbbing pain. It comes and goes. I am trying to stay ahead of it with medicine, but I don't like having to take it. So when I neglect it, I pay dearly. I'm 59 years old and have experienced a lot of differing pains in my life. This one is almost unbearable. And when it goes away, it's completely gone. Sitz baths help immensely. It especially hurts after a bowel movement. And in addition, there is a burning associated with it. It's like a stinging pain...as if someone poured salt on a wound. I need a diet. I have yet to figure out what exacerbates it, except broccoli and cabbage. I need a good diet and will look up the one you suggest. You are so kind to reply to me. I have not known where to turn. It feels so lonely and misunderstood. The Crohn's, that is. It's almost as if someone cannot see it, they do not understand it is for real.

Lady Organic

Staff member
hang on and we are all here together :ysmile:.
Biopsies can catch disease activity that a doctor eyes with colonoscopy can miss. are you sure there were no biopsies? maybe you didnt realize they were taken while asleep during the colonoscopy. When you mention ''colonoscopy results'', it makes me think of biopsies. But it is also true doctors do not always take them. if you really didnt have them (which you could ask your dr's nurse to look n your file), I'd suggest you ask for a fecal calprotectine stool test. This is a simple test that appears to be neary as sensitive as biopsies and that could help make sure you have no inflammation activity and are truly in remission. You really want to understand what is this ongoing diarrhea. calming this diarrhea will hopefully calm down the anal pain.

my personal solution

Hello,

- What worked best for my anal irritations was baby cream for irritated buttocks. It contains zinc oxyde that relieves the pain and helps the healing of the skin.
- I take fresh garlic in small pieces that I chew thoroughly in the morning and in the evening before the meal (ten minutes before). To avoid bad breath, I brush my teeth and use a gargle after the meal, my wife doesn't complain.
Keep the clove of garlic fresh by wrapping it in a plastic foil.

Hope it helps.

My husband used moisturiser for his irritated butt. Earlier it was pain from fistula, then later from drainage and then lack of moisture because of wearing gauze all the time. Moisturiser definitely helped and your pain could also be due to multiple bowel movements. The rectum tends to get irritated when you wake it up right? :) Keep going with the sitz baths, those help a lot. I hope you feel better soon!