• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My brave boy - a Mom's perspective

My sons story began early in 2010. Weight loss was noticeable, as were the frequent showers. We put the weight loss down to a gain in height, and the showers a passing teenage obsession with hygiene. We were all struggling to cope emotionally at that time with the death of 2 family members and the adjustment of life without our eldest daughter, as 2010 was her first year of university. DS (then 15) chose to hide his symptoms for fear of burdening us further.

DS had several trips into hospital for severe abdominal pain. This was diagnosed as a rumbling appendix, with all questions regarding bowel habits being answered by DS as 'no change' and 'normal'. An emergency appendectomy on trip 5 resulted in a nil result, but an observation of mesenteric addonitis (swollen lymph glands) around the appendix. At a follow up appoinment wit the surgeon, DS was questioned again about bowel habits. It was only when we were in the car park he asked me if I ever bled from the bowel. The dots joined then, and I went straight back to the surgeon to information share what DS divulged. A colonoscopy followed, where without waiting for biposy results, we were told the diagnosis would be Crohn's due to presentation, and it was one of the worst cases the surgeon had seen in someone so young. Biopsy results confirmed visual obs.

The battle then started with meds, with Pentasa causing DS to have anxiety attacks. Asacol suited him much better, but even azathioprine made no difference. Steroid therapy failed also, so following further testing, the decision was made to proceed with an ileo-caecal resection mid 2011.

Since then we have struggled to get DS into remission, with his weight currently being 20kgs lighter than his initial weight prior to symptoms beginning. Humira was our next step, with funding approval sought and approved. A second opinion turned life around and unbelievably, the biggest difference has been diet. Testing has resulted in proof DS has IBS as well as IBD. FODMAP has helped turn things around for him. His biggest issue now is learning to eat MORE. He doesn't seem to get hungry in the same way that you or I do. He is now pain free, and trips to the toilet are limited to 3-4 times a day. He is currently on Asacol only. Pain he was experiencing was from gas and bloating, and not from an inflammatory flare. DS never took Humira, as it was proven he did not need to.

I have suffered with my son as only a Mother can. No one wants to see their child in distress. The dignity and strength with which he has handled this life changing diagnosis is truly remarkable. He is now training as a paramedic, and his mentors have commented on his maturity and ability to naturally empathise with patients. This I don't believe, would have been the path his life took, had not he weathered through this journey with Crohns. I am so terribly proud of my boy, and feel for all of you out there who suffer with, or live with, IBD. Hats off to each and every one of you, no matter what your story :ghug:

This is amazing to read because I now get an accurate feeling of what my parents went through. It is so amazing what diet can do for people with IBD and IBS and your little boy is living proof. I remember that I wouldn't eat very much because I didn't like the taste of the food. I was younger at the time so I didn't understand the benefits of eating correctly. I must recommend you research Jini Patel Thompson and her healing protocols. I know you will be open with this because you are experimenting with diet. I wrote a forum topic recently on this so if you need more information please feel free to ask! I wish you guys the best of health!

Wow what an inspirational story. Thanks so much for sharing.:ghug:
My Grace who is four has colitis and I do think she is more tender hearted because of what this disease has taught her. Even at this young age Grace will be the first to offer to "fix their boo-boo".
I hope your son does well for a long long time.

Oh please do check out the parents forum and we also have a diet forum as well.

Thank you for sharing with me too. It has been difficult enough to watch the changes Cameron has gone through aged 15 through 18. I cannot imagine what watching a child of 4 suffer would do to you as a parent. Your Grace sounds touched by her illness in a similar way to Cameron.

The most remarkable part of Cam's story to me is his ability to put things in perspective. He has 2 friends with cystic fibrosis, one of whom passed away December 2012. After a trip into hospital for i.v steroids, he told me I knew nothing, and neither did he. I would still have him in 2 years time. G's mother would not. I took it on the chin, realising he was venting. I later told him that while I appreciated what he was trying to say, HE was my flesh and blood, and I had a right to worry about him. And he had the right to grieve for the process that had changed his life. While he could appreciate he was not dying, he still should not minimise his own suffering. He understood. But it was a lesson to me and one that I am still learning. I was diagnosed with early onset osteoporosis following a minor fall that resulted in 2 broken veterbrae. I have not been able to 'suck it up' and 'get on with it' in the way my darling son has - and believe me, I wish I could !

Anyway, from one Mother to another, thank you. And hugs right back to you and your darling wee girl Grace :ghug:

my little penguin

Staff member
HUgs - So glad your son is doing better.
The parents group has some parents with older children ( 20's ) as well as young ones if you need to vent, discuss or just a shoulder.

hope your son continues to do well