• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My college food

The cafeteria at my college puts laxatives in the food. It kind of pisses me off especially because I go to the cafe before an 8 am class and during my three hours of two classes I feel like I have to go to the bathroom. I have not gone less than twice a day since I have gotten here. The other day I ate a large breakfast, a large lunch and a large dinner and I went about seven times. I know it's not me because everyone I know has the exact same problem. I wished my parents just gave me a credit card so I can go out and eat every day. Thanks for listening to my rant, sorry I havn't been here much I have been hanging out with my friends way too much. We went to DC tonight to go clubbing but we couldn't find any we could get into because we weren't dressed appropriately so we went to a 711 and bought random stuff and went home. I am eating a box of oreo's right now.LOL

I do not think it would be legal to medicate peoples food without permission. If it is having that effect I would start asking some questions of the cafeteria staff. Maybe there is some other problem in the food preparation.

How is it going otherwise?

D Bergy

Hence why I told you "IF YOU CAN AVOID IT, DON'T EAT IN THE DINING HALLS".... D Bergy... its not cafeteria thing.... its a college food thing. :) it really sucks majorly, I know. I ended up eating tons pretzels and soup last year because I NEVER ate in the dining halls after first semester. Its absolutely horrible.

The food tastes alright it's just that if someone gets food poisoning they want it to pass very quickly so they do that. It's very annoying.

School is going well. I just finished a paper a few minutes ago. I go to DC every weekend and it's all fun.

Talk to yall later.

Kev

My recollection of college food (and keep in mind this was eons ago) is that it ranked just below hospital cafeteria cuisine. Price was about the same, but it lacked all of the fresh meat that the hospital somehow managed to come up with despite their limited budget. Never did figure out how they were able to manage that. Anyway, I seem to recall that some really poor, struggling students, were more interested in the cutlery at the cafeteria. It seemed the cafeteria always lost some cutlery, but a majority of it was knives... (for some inexplicable reason). There was something in the air around campus that I couldn't put my finger on, it was ellusive and pervasive all at the same time. Must have been exotic cooking on all of the hotplates that students kept in their rooms... Yea, that explains it. I never got ill from college food, a lot of other things I did in college.. yes, but not the food itself. It was more like a milestone, a way of tracking what I did to make me ill. Like the joke about "Hey driver, u got room up front for a pizza & six pack?"

Kev said:
but it lacked all of the fresh meat that the hospital somehow managed to come up with despite their limited budget. Never did figure out how they were able to manage that.
SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE!!!!!!!

heh!

S

Stuffette

college food

Yeah, it took me a few months to figure out what food I could actually eat from the dining hall. You have to figure out how the cook prepares certain foods. The good thing is that there starts to be a pattern with what they serve so you start to get used to things.

I work on a college campus now and I eat at the cafeteria. There are actually some good things to eat but it takes a lot of creativity. The cooks and servers actually know about my "issues" and they suggest things for me. They really don't understand but they are patient with me. They sometimes let me in on the menu for the next day so I can prepare.

Another trick is to bring your own condiments and ask them to serve you your food from the back before they soak it in their evil sauces.

i never eat college food.I dont like what they provide, and i much rather having something that i know exactly what is in it

Well I never ate there also for that reason... I go to Purdue University.. and they provide Quiche Lorraine, Hungarian Goulash, and Scandinavian Vegetables... weirdo stuff like that... I mean its not weird food if you grew up eating it, but for the typical American diet its weird food.

Kev

SOB! Waaaaaahh. SOB (even bigger). How do those poor students at Purdue get by on this stuff? ;-) OK, someeeee day, eons from now (if you're lucky) think back on the cuisine at Purdue, and send me a chagrined chuckle via seance, OK? Promise ;-)

katiesue1506 said:
Well I never ate there also for that reason... I go to Purdue University.. and they provide Quiche Lorraine, Hungarian Goulash, and Scandinavian Vegetables... weirdo stuff like that... I mean its not weird food if you grew up eating it, but for the typical American diet its weird food.

well ok... come on now... I'm a meat and potatoes type girl... I'm not one for high scale foods... I mean a guy could take me a on a date to a place that served mashed potatoes and grilled chicken and I'd be SO happy... but anything i can't pronounce or anything the reaches outside the comfort zone I turn my nose at. I know it sounds really picky and and stuff, but I just like simple. (and I'm not a big risk taker) ... it took me 16 years to even attempt riding a rollercoaster. BUT anyhow, I understand where you are coming form Kev.

And I promise I'll send you a message in the afterlife!

Kev

You see what you can get away with when you are young and beautiful? sheeesh. now, if an ol fart like me.. who was raised on farm food.. meat and potatoes.. stuff we raised... If I tried that, boy oh boy.. People would say I was just old, senile, set in my ways, narrow or closed minded... you know, all those sorts of compliments ;-)

Hey, I'm teasing.. But life is a wealth of opportunity. Pick a nite, once a week, once a month (you decide) and try just one new food item that you normally wouldn't. Its a crap shoot (and no, everybody, that's not what I mean!!!) but I'm betting you'll find some things you never knew existed that really taste fantastic.

Live it up while you can.. theres no guarrantee for tomorrow

Wow, I get grease laden pizza, hamburgers and fries, warm salad, strawberries that are all mashed up, every so often a decent meal but not too much. Last night I was on the toilet every hour and I found it was from the greasy pepperoni pizza I ate. But whatever. I can deal with going to the bathroom a bunch a day. At least I am not constipated and I don't really get D.

I can't wait for what they serve on my day off tomorrow.lol

Cara Fusinato

Sarcastic Forum Comedian
What happened to the good ole' college food? TOP RAMEN! There is not a college graduate my age that didn't just live on Top Ramen for years!

This "diet" my doctor put me on has these entrees. They are all vaguely tasty yet somehow not quite REAL meat or REAL pasta etc. It was Dan't remark that made it all so terribly true! SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE!

Can you believe my 6th grade teacher showed that to the class? I imagine it was during our "sci-fi" unit, but I, having a teaching credential myself, still shake my head in wonder that a SIXTH grade teacher would show Soylent Green. Things that make ya go, "Huh!"

I can't eat Ramen. It makes my mouth feel so nasty and I can barely swallow because of the saltiness. Never heard of Soylent Green Cara but it couldn't have been good.

Cara Fusinato

Sarcastic Forum Comedian
OIY! Is our age showing? That's what I began calling a lack of cultural reference. I bet he doesn't know where Yogi Bear lives either! I noticed that with my students towards the end. They simply didn't have the cultural reference. SOYLENT GREEN? What is SOYLENT GREEN? SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE! HeeHee. Just go look it up like Dan said.

Me too. King's Island in Ohio used to have Hanna/Barbara Land and I used to love going there as a kid. Don't know if it's still there. Haven't been to KI in a long time.

Nope they don't have it anymore... its now Nickelodeon Land... or something like it. But they still have the scooby doo scare ride (basically the only place with air conditioning) Anyone that has been to King's Island knows EXACTLY what I'm talking about.

Kev

Soylent Green?? Welll, to put it simply, it's just people food. As for Generation Gaps I wonder what the next generation's theme parks will be called? Sex in the city City?

Cara Fusinato

Sarcastic Forum Comedian
Desperate Housewives Funhouse
Ugly Betty Boutique
Grey's Anatomy Haunted Hospital

Oh dear. Life as we know it is over. I think I will just have to go to Disneyland to renew my belief in FUN!

Don't worry... I miss all the cartoons. I do... well I'm a child still in the heart and those goofy little cartoons make my day. Still watch Scooby Doo to be exact. "Why if it weren't for those meddling teenagers..."

You know you are old when your niece asks " Hey uncle Dan, what is with those big CD's"? She was referring to my record collection. So I started buying CD's and now they are obsolete. I am not buying an Ipod.

I did not even see the movie Soylent Green until last year although I remember when it came out. The funniest part was when they called women "furniture". No political correctness in that movie. Rollerball, the original movie came out about the same time. There was many anti-establishment type movies back then, most bad.

What were those hamburgers in the high school cafeteria made of anyway. It was sort of like meat, and yet not quite meat. It was an interesting combination of matter that ended up as a composite that seemed to defy classification. Back to the Soylent Green.

Got to go, the furniture is calling...

Dan Bergman

Kev

Hmmmm, I may be off by an eon or two, but I think that the movies "Death Wish" w Charles Bronson, and "Omega Man" w Charlton Heston, came out around that time...

These days, I look around at new movies being released starring Will Smith or Jodie Foster..... and I get the feeling that everything old is new again. Deja vu or what???

Maybe the world is running out of fresh ideas, or just maybe if one sticks around long enuff, EVERYTHING gets recycled. I shouldn't have cleaned out my closet. :-(

PS to Dan... CD sales have plummeted, thanx mostly to downloaded MP3.. but the 'hottest' ticket lately, for some inexplicable reason, are good old 'vinyl' records. you may have a fortune on your hands and not know it. I'm waiting for 8 tracks to make a comeback...

Last edited:

Kev

One of life's funny coincidences... "Soylent Green" is airing today on Turner Classic Movies at 6 PM Eastern... Filmed in 1973, based in New York in the future (2002) and full of references to the world burning up due to 'greenhouse effect'.. Popcorn ready?

Cara Fusinato

Sarcastic Forum Comedian
I caught it too! Soylent Green is people! How odd we discuss and it just shows right up on the telly!

What about these immortal classics? Logan's Run. Planet of the Apes. They Live! Soylent Green (of course). And yes, Omega Man.

Gotta love the future, man . . . Oh wait. NOW it's the past that never happened. Laughs, real laughs.

Omega man. Another old, possibly bad movie I still have not seen. I will have to watch for that one. I did see another cult classic not too long ago. Easy Rider.

Dan Bergman

Omega Man. My parents used to take my brother and sister and I to the local drive-in movie theater when we were kids and I remember that movie the most. I had nightmares for months after seeing that one. The original "Planet of the Apes" movies were also scary.

I haven't ever seen Omega Man... but Easy Rider... yes. Oh geez! It was so bad... my dad forced me to watch it... I think I fell asleep.

Ok totally of topic kinda... but has anyone ever seen the movie Hoosiers?