• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My colonoscopy was normal but biopsy showed granulomas

I have had bowel issues off and on for the last 5 years. This last flare was the catalyst that finally sent me to the gastroenterologist. I freaked out when I had 20 mouth sores at once, along with debilitating arthritis pain in my knuckles, urgency to go with loose stool sometimes bloody, passing my time released medication without absorption and the stomach pain in the right lower part of my abdomen and a burn. I had a colonoscopy that my Dr. said looked normal only to receive a voicemail a week later saying I had granulomas and a benign polyp. Of course I had no idea what a granulomas was, so I googled it. Basically I have symptoms of IBD, granulomas with normal blood work and normal colonoscopy. My doct says she believes I have IBS and for us to monitor this closely. I'm confused bc I have read many post with people having the opposite issue as mine, upset they aren't being diagnosed without granulomas but they have visual imflamation during the colonoscopy. Any thoughts? I appreciate your feedback.

My GI told me recently that research is leaning towards granulomas NOT being used as diagnostic of Crohn's. Figures it will take within ten years to change the guidelines.
Which just confused me. So I can't help.Then what would they mean?