• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My Crohn's Disease and Remicade ¿

My Crohn's Disease and Remicade ¿

I was diagnosed January 2013 one week after my 45th birthday. .....I lost my job from being in the hospital 13 times the last time being April of 2015
Acually I lost every job after the initial diagnosis. ..I did receive my disability after 7 months.
I'm concerned about taking remicade every 8 weeks for 3hrs
I am feeling better but very worried about side effects long term.....
I'm having issues with my diet..it's confusing and I'm a strange Duck the doctors say
I get obstructions and backed up and look 9 months pregnant at times.
Just saying how I feel and what my concerns are.
Any responses will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Lori Renee Deputy

Lori, sorry to hear of your very challenging case. That is a lot of hospital visits. I don't know if this will help you get your job back, but maybe others reading this thread. We were advised to look into Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA). If you have a medical condition that prevents you from doing your job, and notify your employer, they cannot fire you... At least they have to give you up to 12 weeks of unpaid leave before they fire you. With 13 hospitalizations maybe you exhausted your FMLA allowance, and they did the harsh thing & fired you. As with any law, I'm sure there are exceptions & fine print, but the upshot is: In the USA, if you're gainfully employed and get diagnosed with Crohn's & your case is serious enough to require a hospital visit, get the FMLA paperwork in to your employer.