• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My Crohn's Journey

Hi Everyone!

I'm new to this forum and wanted to share my journey.

I was 19 years old when I started feeling off. I would feel nauseous after eating. It would come and go. The doctor did blood work, but found nothing. As time went on, I started getting abdominal pain after eating, and eventually I starting vomiting. I went back to the doctor, and he kept sending me for tests; blood tests, MRIs, CT scans, X-rays, etc. They were all negative. this went on for almost a year. I went through anti-nausea meds and pain meds, but nothing helped. My doc finally sent me to a gastroenterologist. He sent me for a small bowel series and they finally found the Crohn's. I ended up in the ER from all the barium, and was admitted for a day.

I was put on high dose steroids and Pentasa. I started feeling better, so the doc eventually backed off the steroids. I was doing OK for a quite while, then I started having pain, worse than before, and lost a lot of weight. The doc put me back on steroids, but was unable to back me down. Every time he tried, I would feel awful. The dosage was so high that I felt like I had every side effect!

The doc finally sent me for another small bowel series, and found 2 obstructions. I went into surgery in August 1997. They resected my bowel in 2 places (I lost over 2 feet), had an ileocaecal resection, they found gall stones at that time and removed my gall bladder, and also removed my appendix. I was in the hospital for a week.

A few years ago I had to have a hysterectomy because there were abdominal adhesions. Since this surgery, I have been doing OK. My weight has fluctuated tremendously, and I am always fatigued. I usually have some minor flares during the summer when it is really hot. The funny thing about this is, I am from NY, but twice I went to Florida and felt GREAT both time I went there. I am still taking Pentasa, and as of the last colonoscopy, the Crohn's is still active. I have to be careful what I eat, and avoid what triggers the flares.

I decided to join this group because recently I have been finding it hard to relate about my disease with my boyfriend and my family. No matter how much I try to explain how I'm feeling, they do try to understand, but they just don't get it. For some reason, this has been really frustrating me lately. I felt it was time to talk to people who can relate.

I’ve just joined and there’s lots to read, and such a range of people and symptoms. I hope you find people you talk to and relate with.