• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My Crohn's Story

My name is Nikki and I am 40 years old. I was diagnosed with Crohn's at 28 but had been undiagnosed for years, I'm thinking the onset was at 21 shortly after giving birth to my 2nd child.

I was put on Asacol and prednisone back then but due to insurance issues, I wasn't able to afford Asacol for long. I had awful reactions to prednisone so could only take it a couple weeks at a time. After a few years I got my insurance back and was put on Pentasa. Pentasa worked for a bit and then I became pregnant with my 3rd child and I went into remission without drugs for 2 years.

My father died 6 years ago and around the same time my disease came back with a vengeance. Stress has always been a huge trigger for me. I was on Remicade for 18 months and developed rheumatoid symptoms s they switched me to Cimzia. Cimzia made the rheumatoid feel better but didn't help at all with Crohn's. I also ended up having fluid on my lungs and heart and had a pericardial window 2 years ago. The docs believe the fluid was a result of rheumatoid arthritis which oddly enough was brought on by drugs that were supposed to treat it.

This is when I had my resection and did well for about half a year (April 2011).

With the side effects I experienced on Remicade and Crohn's (the rheumatoid disappeared after stopping Cimzia and I never had a recurrence of the fluid afterwards either), I was put on methotrexate which did nothing for me and then
6mp which gave me debilitating migraines.

Well, the past 9 months I have been hospitalized 4 times with abscesses and found that I now have a fistula as well. I changed doctors to a doctor affiliated with Johns Hopkins and tomorrow I start the clinical trial for Stelara.

She is very hopeful that this will work for me while most everything has failed. If not, I'll be looking at a second surgery and I really don't want to get cut open again. So, I'm keeping my fingers crossed....:voodoo: and a little voodoo doesn't hurt, lol.

David

Co-Founder
Hi Nikki,

Thank you for sharing your story. You've obviously been through so much :(

Are your abscesses and fistula perianal or are they higher up in your intestines?

I pray that the Stelara is the answer you've been waiting for :)

It's been a long road, for sure.
They are both higher up. My abscesses are always close to the ileum and the fistula is Enterovesicular (sp?)
I'll go add my doctor now....

Yes, I'm pretty sure that's what she said. She was telling me all the things that showed up in my MRI and colonoscopy. A lot were terms I had never heard before or didn't understand due to the accent of my former doctor. She did stop at the time and ask if I had a history of bladder infections which I do.