• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My Crohn's story

In May of 2007 I went in for a CT scan because I had been having bad abdominal pain off&on for several months, I had taken many blood tests & they finally showed a low white blood count, which led me to having to ct scan. Well right away after the scan, I was admitted & told I have Crohn's disease & needed an emergency bowel resection surgery. I had about a foot of my small instestine removed. 3 weeks later(2 weeks after getting out of the hospital) I went in for a check up with my surgeon & was having some pains, had another ct scan& it showed I had an infection that would require another surgery. So there I was again getting cut open and spending another week in the hospital. This is the hard part for me to admitt to... after my 2nd surgery,sometime after my last steri strip fell off, I started to pick at my scab. I know its gross and clearly not a good thing to do. But I have always had this wierd addiction to picking scabs. Well I did it for awhile & the bottom part of my scab was harder to pick off &it hurt but I still did it. Which ofcoarse caused the scab spot to bleed. It took along time for the scar to heal, which I know is my fault. I feel terrible I ever did that & im filled with regret about it. (my scar starts at my belly button and ends very low) So now my scar is very thin at the bottom inch or so & is red. (I assume its extra thin because I remember picking thick painfull scabs from the bottom)The rest of my scar is white and thicker. I have been doing fine ever since the surgery (besides the fact that I had to wear a sock in between my jeans for about 5 months because the scar was so sore) I am kindof curious if anyone else has had a thin scar years after surgery. Or is there anyone else out there that has picked there scab? Well anyways im filled with regret about ever even touching the scar and I wish I didnt do it, but thats long over & I cant go back in time. All I can do is learn from my mistake and never do it again if I have to have another surgerY(which I hope I dont)Thanks for reading my rambling.:yfrown::frown:

Angrybird

Hello and welcome to the forum :)

I must admit I have not done this myself and when I had my op because it was done via keyhole the incisions was covered with a clear glue and the skin healed underneath it with hardly any scabbing. I am glad you are now feeling better though, are you now on any meds for your crohn's? How often are you seeing your GI for updates?

AB
xx

David

Co-Founder
Hi there and welcome to the community :) Thanks for joining and sharing your story.

I can't say that I can relate, but I wouldn't be surprised if others can.

How are you feeling these days? Like Angrybird, I'm curious what your treatment regimen is.

All my best to you.