• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My Crohn's Story

So, this is all new to me still. My name is Brianna and I am 15 years old. My story started about 3 years ago. Early in 2011, I began having stomach pains and feeling really tired along with fevers. My mom really started to worry after it went on for a month or so and took me to Children's Hospital. Well, the doctor just did a few scans and said it was constipation and sent me home on laxitives. After a few more months, none of the symptoms were letting up so mom took me back to the hospital. The SAME doctor then again gave me the same diagnosis and sent me back home. I finally started hurting to the point I couldn't eat because it hurt so much to eat and I started losing a lot of weight. I went from 115 lbs to 85 lbs in about 4 months. My mom took me back to the hospital in January of 2012 and the SAME doctor knew something wasn't right then. I ended up being admitted while they ran all of these tests and did a colonoscopy and other things. At first they were scared I had leukemia because my cell levels were abnormal. It was only after the colonoscopy they realized I had Crohn's Disease in some part of my colon, they just couldn't pin point where. I ended up with a GI doctor who wasn't the least bit helpful. Since then, I haven't been doing anything for treatment because we can't get me back in with any doctors. None seem to return phone calls. And now I have more going on and I am flaring up ten times worse and getting to where I can't eat again. As well as a lot of blood when I go to the bathroom every time. And even though I'm going through it all and seem okay, it's terrifying. I try my best daily to get through and get home so i can rest, but it seems to get harder. I dunno why I wrote this, maybe to see if any one else is in my situation or knows a way to help, but I just hope someone sees this.

I'm so sorry your doctors are no help. I don't really have any advice on the doctors but don't give up, there are a lot of things out there to help!

Hugs :ghug: So sorry you are going through this Brianna you have come to right place. Are you currently taking any medicine for your Crohn's?

Sometimes it takes going to one, two, three, four or even five doctors. Crohns and UC are unlike any other disease, with no clear cause, no 'textbook' case... it seems that every person's disease appears, progresses and flares so differently, and many docs aren't used to seeing many cases to begin with. I know it's hard being a teenager, nod having to deal with this on top of everything, but don't give up. Get a second or third opinion!

This reminds me of myself as well as so many other people's stories. I had just turned 20 and had given birth to my first child. I know I was young, but i had a life that made me grow up fast and take of myself at an early age. Anyway, i got really sick, with flu like symptoms, and cramps and running to the restroom constantly. I was told it was my nerves from being a new mother. I called in sick alot for work and my husband started to think I just wanted to stay home with our daughter. If the doctor didnt feel anything was wrong then I must have been making it up. I was so upset with everyone. I dealt with it for a year, being told it was nerves, a kidney stone, pelvic infection, possible tubal pregnancy, everything under the sun, and was frustrated not getting any better. It took myself pushing the doctor to finally find out. I found a lump in my stomach and made him feel it. It was the size of a baseball and he finally took me seriously. Please dont give up, your mom sounds like she will be there for you and help you with the fight. Its your body and you know when something is just not right. In the meantime I have found just reading what others are going through helps make me feel I am not alone. Everyone on here is so caring and sweet. I wish you all the best. DONT GIVE UP!

dave13

Forum Monitor
I hope you see a competent Dr.soon! I'm pretty new to this too,it's tough.Use the forum to vent,get support,find information.Everyone has been patient with my questions and concerns.Stay strong

Ugh doctors can be so frustrating. I was diagnosed in spring of 2009 I had an allergic reaction to the meds my doctor put me on he never returned my calls. I was in search of a doctor for several months. I now hold a great deal of faith in my new doctor. He's very supportive and truly looks for my best interest. I never feel like he ignores what I have to say. That being said you and your parents need to be persistent and seek a good doctor. I travel an hour to see mine but think it's worth it. Once you trust your doctor they will take good care of you. Good luck.....it will get better.