• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My Cure for Crohns

S

spipe

I have had crohns since 1981 i have been through alot and my crohns is an odd one I have pain and cramps no soft stools and a weird diet then some. I would like to say ginseng helps me more then anything it is cheap and does wonders. I have tried alot of drugs but remember pharmcy drugs only cure 20% of all illness's.

Please give it a try and post your results I noticed results within 2 days.

I take Ginseng on a pretty regular basis for detox and energy, but havent really noticed it doing much for my Crohn's. I'm currently using one from TruNature called Triple Energy that has American, Chinese and Siberian ginsengs in it.

I love cheap and easy remedies. This one would be simple enough to try out.
Won't work in my case since I have no obvious symptoms, but it should be an easy trial for those in discomfort.

Just like any other treatment, what works for some will probably not work for everyone.

D Bergy

R

ReeRee

I'll give it a shot. Can't hurt huh?

I am taking Methotrexate injections now and they cause some pretty wicked hot flashes. I'm taking Black Cohosh for it and it's working wonders. So a little ginseng couldn't hurt.

Black Cohosh is one herb to be careful with. There is some very weak evidence that it could possibly cause liver problems. Again, the evidence is very suspect when scrutinized in depth but I would get a liver function test as a precaution. Especially if you are taxing your liver with other drugs at the same time.

D Bergy

mikeyarmo

Co-Founder
Thanks for sharing spipe. I am glad you titled this thread "My cure" and not "THE cure". I am really glad you have found success with this and would recommend everyone speak with their medical practitioner before using it as part of your treatment.

I was actually using ginseng root right from Korea which was very expensive (600.00 for the small box) boiled it down and added honey and ginger to it and drank it as tea...honestly I never noticed major improvements regarding my CD and it isn't exactly the greatest taste either so I only use it on occassion because I don't want it to go to waste as my step-mom bought it specifically for my health.

:)

O

old hat

ReeRee said:
I'll give it a shot. Can't hurt huh?

I am taking Methotrexate injections now and they cause some pretty wicked hot flashes. I'm taking Black Cohosh for it and it's working wonders. So a little ginseng couldn't hurt.
In some cases it can cause heartburn or dermatitis. Taking too much (I mean a hell of a lot) can cause CNS depression and/or arrythmia. It can also interact negatively with certain meds (antihypertensives, anticoagulants, antacid meds and , hypoglycemics) If it has enough activity to help then it has enough activity to possibly cause a possible adverse reaction. If there is no possibility of an adverse reaction, then it doesn't have enough biological activity to do anything at all.

People who are selling something (especially if they tout it as natural) and tell you that it will help you with no possibility of an adverse reaction are BSing you.

I have seen studies on the use of Giner to help with nausea and vomiting either post-op or associated with preganancy. I have seen a study involving the prevention of cancer formation in chronically inflamed area using ginseng.

abstract
http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/content/abstract/137/1/183S
Inflammation, Cancer, and Targets of Ginseng1–3,
Lorne J. Hofseth4,* and Michael J. Wargovich5

4 Department of Basic Pharmaceutical Sciences, South Carolina College of Pharmacy and 5 Department of Pathology and Microbiology, School of Medicine, University of South Carolina, Columbia, SC 29208

* To whom correspondence should be addressed. E-mail: hofseth@cop.sc.edu.

Chronic inflammation is associated with a high cancer risk. At the molecular level, free radicals and aldehydes, produced during chronic inflammation, can induce deleterious gene mutation and posttranslational modifications of key cancer-related proteins. Other products of inflammation, including cytokines, growth factors, and transcription factors such as nuclear factor B, control the expression of cancer genes (e.g., suppressor genes and oncogenes) and key inflammatory enzymes such as inducible nitric oxide synthase and cyclooxygenase-2. These enzymes in turn directly influence reactive oxygen species and eicosanoid levels. The procancerous outcome of chronic inflammation is increased DNA damage, increased DNA synthesis, cellular proliferation, disruption of DNA repair pathways and cellular milieu, inhibition of apoptosis, and promotion of angiogenesis and invasion. Chronic inflammation is also associated with immunosuppression, which is a risk factor for cancer. Current treatment strategies for reactive species overload diseases are frequently aimed at treating or preventing the cause of inflammation. Although these strategies have led to some progress in combating reactive species overload diseases and associated cancers, exposure often occurs again after eradication, treatment to eradicate the cause fails, or the treatment has long-term side effects. Therefore, the identification of molecules and pathways involved in chronic inflammation and cancer is critical to the design of agents that may help in preventing the progression of reactive species overload disease and cancer associated with disease progression. Here, we use ginseng as an example of an antiinflammatory molecule that targets many of the key players in the inflammation-to-cancer sequence.

pb4 said:
I was actually using ginseng root right from Korea
I bought a little box of dried, sliced panax root in New York in one of the little asian herbal shops. Sometimes I made tea from it and sometimes I just put a small piece in my mouth and chewed. Alas, I didn't keep it safely sealed and some bugs ate it recently and I had to toss the rest out. :(

I'm 67 years old and have moderate to severe Crohn's disease. I have tried everything short of surgery, with no relief. Two years ago I told my doctor that I refused to take any other medications because I was just tired of it all. It really didn't help, and the treatments often made me feel worse. I have always refused to have surgery because I worked in the medical field for 40 years, and I've seen what it does to patients. About a year ago after ending up in the ER again with dehydration and severe pain from a serious flare, I decided to research natural remedies. I began taking Ginseng. I haven't had a flare up since. I also take Ginkgo Biloba for its anti-inflammatory effects. They have been a miracle for me. If anyone is interested in more information, just post me a message. I wish that I had done this when I was younger and not suffered for so many years.

Bufford

I have taken the natural path too after getting tired of the pharmaceutical route. Turmeric has worked wonders for me. I used to take ginger but backed off from it after it gave my gallbladder grief. I simply mix a level teaspoon of turmeric powder into a glass of water and drink it on an empty stomach between breakfast and lunch.

I heard that turmeric is absorbed better if mixed with a small amount of black pepper, have you heard that? In any case, it's a fantastic anti-inflammatory.

I've been making smoothies as my personal "cure" for CD and have been adding some warm spices lately (turmeric, black pepper, cinnamon, cardamom). Some other things I throw in there are microgreens, flax seeds, carrots, ginger root... Always a banana and some other kind of fruit to balance it out and make it palatable enough to actually drink. Bring it all together with some coconut water. This has been working wonders for me.

I have had crohns since 1981 i have been through alot and my crohns is an odd one I have pain and cramps no soft stools and a weird diet then some. I would like to say ginseng helps me more then anything it is cheap and does wonders. I have tried alot of drugs but remember pharmcy drugs only cure 20% of all illness's.

Sorry to revive such an old thread but I'm wondering if anyone else has experience with ginseng.
I'm mainly looking for some relief from this constant fatigue, but if it helps with the Crohn's that's fine too.....

Interesting…I was diagnosed around the same time. It was a long process getting diagnosed and not a lot known about it. What brand do you use?