• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My dad was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis

Hello everyone-

My dad was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis in August of last year. He's 73. He's lost around 40 pounds and is so, so thin. He has no energy to do anything.

He's taking Lialda, probiotics, and l-glutamine. He has always hated to take meds, and getting him to try new things (particularly anything that comes in the shape of a pill) is challenging.

I encouraged him to try the SCD diet, and I bring most of the meals to him and my increasingly forgetful mom. She's not big on cooking, and he doesn't have much of an appetite- although he does complain that he misses pizza! I'm not really sure whether the diet is helping or not.

I've heard good things about cannabis oil, and I think he'd be willing to try that. I'd like to learn more about it, and anything else that might help.

I look forward to learning from you all.

Jen

There is a section in the forum called treatment and I think people there could be helpful. I wish yoiu all the best.

my little penguin

Staff member
Have you tried EEN ( exclusive enteral nutrition) ?
Formula only ( ensure boost etc)
No food not as effective for UC but definitely will help with weight issues
As effective as steriods in kids at least

Cannabis oil probably wouldn't hurt! Ingesting it orally lessens the psychoactive effects, or at least negates them to what is coined as 'a body high'. however ingesting it rather than inhaling it is a much better option for treatment as there are a lot of cannabinoid receivers located throughout the bowel. If you can, try to find a high CBD strain of medical cannabis, Cannabidiol the non psychoactive compound that aids in suppressing inflammation. And hey! At very least it'll help with the appetite!

All the best!!!

Keenan