• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My daughter was diagnosed with crohns in Aug 2012 now having problems with school what can we do?

My daughter Erin is 17 and has been having a tough time with classes and being absent alot, she has gone over the "allowed" # of days absent and now she is failing some classes even though she has passing grades. We are told we have to appeall in front of the school board. She was just discharged from the hospital for the second time in 6 months total of 18 days. I try to help her but it seems there is nothing I can do to make her feel better. She is on Pentasa and steroids and at the moment waiting for results to come back so she can start the 6mp. Erin has never had a problem with being absent and has always been an A-B student this is so upsetting to both her and myself. It's just all to overwhelming.:sign0085:

She needs to get a letter from her GI and she needs to have a 504 plan set up with the school. A 504 plan allows for absences due to her illness as well as a myriad of other things that deal with her illness.

I'm going to tag Jmrogers, Patricia and MLP as they have some info and links to great info on a 504.

A little more info for you
Jack's absences are excused, I don't have to have a doctor signature on each one but if we are getting to the 9 day/semester limit of our school district I just call the GI and he writes up that yes, he has been having issues directly related to his disease.
Also if extended absence we can have the homebound teacher come out and teach, she basically keeps him up to date, we also have in ours a permanent bathroom pass, he is free to get up and use the restroom at anytime without penalty and does not have to ask permission. A lot of his teachers have offered him a seat next to the door if he would like it. He is allowed to go lay in the nurses office at any time. He is allowed to have snacks in class. He is allowed extended time to make up work after an absence. I believe standard is 3 days he has 10 per 504 but a lot of his teachers do not hold him to a time limit as he is also an A-B student and they know he will get it done.
He has just missed several days recently and went back to school yesterday and called me when he came home saying he was tired but he had a lot of homework, he ended up taking a nap and was still able to complete some of his missing homework. I will sometimes get an email from the teacher just telling me what is missing so we do not end up missing something.
The 504 meeting is generally held with her teachers, the nurse, counselor. Jack always attends along with us and most have been very gracious and ask if there is anything additional that would help him out.