• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My daughter

My 16 year old daughter is currently undergoing tests. Her calprotectin came back 2500. The doctor is scheduling a scope this week. Any words of encouragement or information would be appreciated. This is all new to us and a bit of a shock.

My son was diagnosed at 15 he is 19 now.

Hopefully the scope will bring you answers quickly and the issues can be treated promptly.

Crohns disease can have a steep learning curve but it does get easier. It seems in the beginning the decisions come at you fast and furious when you feel least prepared.

One thing to keep in mind is that the goal is to keep your child's bowels healthy to help promote full growth during their growing years and to decrease the chances of future surgery.

Maya142

Staff member
Hi and welcome!
My daughter was diagnosed at 16 too. I'm guessing that they have checked for infections? That's one of the other things that can raise fecal calprotectin.

I hope the scopes give you some answers. The prep is the worst part of the scope - the actual procedure is usually pretty easy - my daughter calls it "a good nap." Having something to watch or read on prep day helps, something she can take into the bathroom with her, because she'll be spending a lot of time there! Wipes (flushable) will also help. If she is given the Miralax prep, she'll have to mix it with Pedialyte or Gatorade and will have to drink quite a lot.

Good luck - let us know how it goes. If she is diagnosed with Crohn's or Ulcerative Colitis, there is a lot of great info on the forum. Hang in there!

crohnsinct

Everyone pretty much covered what I would say.

Try not to get ahead of yourself. Take it one step at a time and don't scenario out things.

I hope the prep goes well and they get a good look so they can give you answers and a clear path.

Please let us know how it goes and if it is IBD we are here for you.

Everyone pretty much covered what I would say.

Try not to get ahead of yourself. Take it one step at a time and don't scenario out things.

I hope the prep goes well and they get a good look so they can give you answers and a clear path.

Please let us know how it goes and if it is IBD we are here for you.
Thank you so much!!!!

Glad scopes are being done and hopefully will give you solid answers. I don't have much else to add to what's already been said just wanted to send support to you both.

I know that it is worrisome. But over the years of dealing with Crohn's I have come to realize that it is better to not assume the worst. Try not to stress to much over it until you know what it is your dealing with. While maybe it is an IBD, it could also be an infection of some kind. Hang in there and let us know the results. If it is an IBD, this forum is a great place to come for knowledge and support.

Thank you all again. Your words of support mean so much. She is scheduled for a colonoscopy this Friday morning. They are doing upper and lower.

I know that it is worrisome. But over the years of dealing with Crohn's I have come to realize that it is better to not assume the worst. Try not to stress to much over it until you know what it is your dealing with. While maybe it is an IBD, it could also be an infection of some kind. Hang in there and let us know the results. If it is an IBD, this forum is a great place to come for knowledge and support.
Thank you so much!!

Glad they are being thorough and doing upper and lower. Have them take biopsies too and test for microinflammation. Keep us updated, we hope for good results :)

Thank you all again. Your words of support mean so much. She is scheduled for a colonoscopy this Friday morning. They are doing upper and lower.
I would start reducing the solid food to broths, green, yellow jello and other soft foods to make the prep smoother. I had both upper & lower in Dec (my 1st) and it was truly just a lovely nap- with no after effects. Best of luck to her.

Hey guys results are back today. The doc says ulcerative colitis. We go Friday for consult basically will be a lot of education I'm told. Upper scope showed healthy. There is inflamation at the beginning of bowel the way i understood.thank you for your support

Did they take biopsies? I would wonder about Crohn's if inflammation is up at the top of the colon. Either way there's a lot to learn. I'm glad you are there to help your daughter through this. Hugs.

Glad you have an answer. Check out the UC group here. I'm sure they can provide help and we all will provide support.