• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My Diacol experience

Hi guys,

Just went through my second colonoscopy (yay?), but this time I was offered Diacol for my prep. As I was taking it I noticed that there didn’t seem to be any personal experience information out there on it that seemed to marry up with my experience. I found this stressful as I found it to be a very different experience to the Glycoprep so I thought I would just make note of it here in case anyone else comes looking in the future.

At 5:00pm I started taking the tablets. 4 every 15 minutes with 250mls of water until I had taken 20 tablets. The tablets aren’t small, but they aren’t the horse tablets I take for my vitamin d + calcium. They tasted weirdly salty if left in my mouth for too long which wasn’t too nice.

Then I waited…and waited…and nothing really happened. Dashed to the bathroom for only a small amount of D about 4-5 times that night. Had a rough night’s sleep as I kept expecting it to fully kick in at any given moment (I don’t know about anyone else, but in my experience the Glycoprep acted quickly and very thoroughly). I woke up at 6am the following morning and it finally kicked in properly, but only a couple of times. Following the images in the booklet I was given that showed the 5 stages of what the D goes through I was still in the second stage and nowhere near ready for my test…I started to really panic.

Hit 7am and I started taking the second set of 12 tablets the same way as I did last night and kept drinking as much water as I could (until 9am when I was required to stop) and at about 8:30am it kicked in fully and did its job quickly and thoroughly. By 9:30am it had gone through all stages and the D was clear as it needed to be for a successful colonoscopy. I still had to go to the bathroom every ½ hour or so for the next hour and a half, but was fine after that to go to the hospital for my appointment.

All in all, the Diacol I found to be as effective as the liquid prep. Easier to drink as I like water and think the other stuff tastes foul, but it did take a lot longer to work on me. It was more gentle on my body and not as extreme an experience. I would definitely go the Diacol route again as my preference, but at least next time I will be a bit more prepared for it to take longer and not find it as stressful.

(I know everyone can have a different experience taking medication, but I just thought it would really have helped me to be able to see something like this so I wasn't so upset when it didn't seem to be working as I expected it to)