• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My Doctors scare me

I was diagnosed with Crohns around the end of 2012 when I was 16 and at one stage my doctors were all over the place changing my medications then I was changing hospitals and everything just became a mess!

When I was on a liquid diet and I was told to start taking Imuran, about 2 weeks into taking it I started experience terrible pains around my lower back and it was unbearable! I went to emergency 2 times before I was admitted, at that time my actual doctor was away for the weekend so another doctor was taking care of his patients!

The first day that I was admitted the doctor came in with 2 others And questioned me a lot, he asked if my mother wanted me to come or if I chose to come! I felt like he even began to go toward that my mum had munchausens and that really irked me but when I was released I was back in the hospital the next day and was diagnosed with pancreatitis.

But ever since that experience with that doctor I feel like I can't tell my doctors anything because I don't want them to think those things about me or my parents! It makes me really uncomfortable, and I feel like a burden to them

So I really don't know what I'm going to do because I think everything is slowly going down hill again but I can't bring myself to say anything and it angers me that I feel this way

I just don't know what to do anymore

nogutsnoglory

Unfortunately like the rest of the population there is good and bad. I think its important you seek out the best care you can but not avoid doctors, otherwise you end up seeing then on an emergency basis when things get horrible.

Wow! I can't get over how some doctors treat patients. If I see another doctor at the clinic other than my usual, I am given a hard time when asking for my pain meds to be refilled. I even got an "it won't be so easy to get next time". Really?!?!?!? Not like I am there the next day looking for more, they give me 50 at a time and I go back about every 2 weeks :( I have even had docs allude to it all being in my head....

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hey Chichy,

ngng is right hun. You need to find a gastroenterologist that you are comfortable with and makes you feel at ease. There are so many facets to this disease but the one thing that can pull it all together and keep you on top of things is a good GI. What happened to you is not your fault but I know it is hard to see past that, particularly at your age when you are dealing with the medical profession, it is intimidating and not hard to see why you would be scared. :ghug:

You deserve to be treated with compassion, respect and support. You have a diagnosis and you have a disease that is chronic and needs to be managed by both you and your doctor. Don’t waste your time with doctors that don’t understand the disease and don’t care that you have it.

I know there are some very good GI’s in Victoria. I don’t know where you are located in the state but I will tag Catherine and Susan2 into this as they are two members here that I know off the top of my head that are also in Victoria. They may be able to help you out with some recommendations.

Good luck, you are in my thoughts. :heart:

Dusty. xxx

Catherine

Hi

We have a lovely private female gi in Dandenong.

I am sorry your previous experience has not been good.

Thanks for tagging me, Dusty.

Hi Chichy, I am sorry to hear that you are having trouble finding a GI who you can work with to treat your Crohn's. I live out of Geelong and know excellent GIs there, but don't know much about the Melbourne situation.

Don't be afraid to ask your GP for a referral to another GI - we all have the right to a medical practitioner in whom we have confidence.

There are a few doctors listed in the Victorian section of the Doctor Directory (see the top of the page) or, if you are happy to disclose (in general terms) where you live, you could post in the Victorian local support group and there might be someone who lives in your area who could give you a recommendation.

Keep fighting for your rights as a patient. I hope that things improve for you - Crohn's is so hard on young people like you.