• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My holistic treatment and diet diary for Lymphocytic Colitis

I love your son's name. Our daughter was tough to settle, and to get to sleep. In hindsight getting more breaks and more rest would have been better for everyone.

I am doing well. Thank you for asking. I do best when I eat fewer fruits and veggies, but that has led to too much weight gain. I still need to avoid wheat/gluten, oats, cornmeal, dairy and red meats as well as a few other things. If I cook for myself I almost never have trouble anymore. However, eating out is still a challenge. I bring my own food to most places, unless I know for sure that it is safe to eat there. I still get a severe reaction to gluten.

It is still a challenge to keep my iron level up with my diet. My energy levels continue to improve but I still am working hard at building a complete diet that has all the nutrients that I need from the foods that I can eat. However, now I am enjoying the challenge of creating meals that I can eat that my family/friends also enjoy.

May you continue to enjoy the new experiences of fatherhood.

Yup. First of all, I will have less trouble if I eat all of them cooked. Usually I don't eat the peels.

Best: Carrots, pears, fresh peas, bananas, spinach, sweet peppers, onions, garlic, herbs (raw ok), zucchini, apples, blueberries, plums, peaches, red potatoes.

Ok in small amounts: Green beans, tomatoes, broccoli, cauliflower, squash, swiss chard, avocado, citrus fruits (usually only have the juice), cucumber, baby bok choy, lettuce (very small amounts raw; otherwise I cook it), sweet potatoe.

Worst: Corn, Beets, Eggplant, cabbage, kale, pineapple, mango, melon, other berries, turnip.

That's all I can think of.

Why do you ask?

I just checked out your site and have a couple of questions, if you wouldn't mind answering them. Why do you not use any other oils besides those listed in your first post? How do you cook scrambled eggs without it sticking to the pan? Thanks

David

Co-Founder
I now use macadamia nut oil as well. But I use very low heat with all my oils.

I don't use other oils because they have low temperatures at which volatile compounds are created and low smoke points: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smoke_point -- I find myself steaming most of our cooked foods these days. If my wife liked soup (who doesn't like soup?) then MANY of our meals would be soup.

In addition, the oils I list have a good n3-n6 fatty acid ratio whereas traditional oils most use have high amounts of n6 fatty acids and very little n3 fatty acids which is bad.

When I cook scrambled eggs I use a good helping of raw or grass fed butter, melt that, then add the eggs. I do use stainless steel for eggs with wooden implements but never again will I use teflon or like materials.

Your wife is not the only one not fond of soup. I like thicker stuff, like stew or chile though. Thank you for answering my questions.

So I looked on here fast from your first post...on my cell phone
You are allergic or have problems with yeast bakers brewers
Your in the usa have you done the ibd expandwd panel from labcorp???

Kind strange you react to eggs...I bet you react to penicillin? ??
This drug is made from mold/fungus any one who reacts also reacts to eggs

Some of those foods onions etc kill yeast..and are anitfungal
Green apples can be.... garlic is it interests me your post.

Have your ever taken an antifugal drug???many of the things you list (eat) feed yeast

good link on doug kauffmann please take some time and watch this.... I found this after mine got better and alot of what he says makes sense and matched what ive found in my enterolab results great plains results.... elisa act bio .... Ibd expaneded panel etc
http://www.knowthecause.com/index.php/fungus-link-stomach

many of the things people complain about on here ...loss of memory... sinus , joint pain etc etc

looking at Cat a tonc posts..... are symptoms of fungus.. yeah you have gut problems but why all these other issues ???

ASCA = bakers beer yeast AMCA = canidida
DO the lab corp test -- IBD EXPANDED PANEL do the great plains tests OAT and comp stool it will really get your brain thinking..... or try dougs phase 1 above for a month ortwo...

edcolumbiaMD: I am afraid I am not a physician, so I did not understand which labs you had done. Could you please post them so that I can ask my doctor to order them? Thank you very much.

I do have yeast overgrowth. I was told my baby in the womb or I would die if I didn't take antibiotics for 40 weeks during my pregnancy in 2011 because I had a recurrent UTI, if it went to the kidneys it'd be fatal. After that terrifying pregnancy I was diagnosed immediately with Lymphocytic Colitis. Diet and supplements haven't ridded my LC. I have been back on antibiotics for a staph infection and then recently a sinus infection which led to my second time with C.Diff. I am suffering because I have been on vancomycin a month now, C.Diff didn't clear after first 14 days. So I am back on vanco and tapering for the course of a month. The C.Diff or vanco has caused my LC to flare horrendously. I have been losing so much weight and inflamed that I just began hydrocortisone. I am upset because this all equals more yeast. I just want to get healthy but feel 1 step forward, 2 steps back. If only diet and Nystatin would stop the horrendous diarrhea. I just don't know what to do and feel really hopeless, frustrated and in "no man's land" with the mainstream gastroenterologists. I am thirty-five and pray that there is a way to get me well. My husband and children suffer so greatly over this, too, and they are my life. To have one solid bowel movement a day versus copious diarrhea would be a dream. I tried to treat my sinus infection for 14 before succumbing to antibiotics. All my hard work to cleanse my body of pathogens/yeast feels nixed now. Any support or suggestions greatly appreciated.

iriechic, have you tried FMT. Very highly recommended for CDiff! Since you have CDiff you can legally get it done via colonoscopy by a GI doc. If that isn't an option many people DIY. My daughter had one when she had recurrent CDif and it helped eliminate it.

Thanks Searchingforhealth. I did FMT last year. I hoped it would put MC in remission but it did eradicate C. Diff. The D lindered a long time post C.Diff though which is crazy making mentally. I used a donor from GI since husband not good stool criteria. I had CDSA Genova prior to FT, no parasites. Post FMT, I managed to obtain blastocystis hominis. I am frustrated that ova and parasites are routinely missed by lab corp, quest, and hospitals. Hope to use FIL this time. Hoping an enema would work because my intestines so inflamed. After first 1st 14 course this year, used DIY with husband but retested positive for C.Diff. Darn bug!!!
Thanks for smart idea!

Just checking in on this very informative thread since its been awhile and was a little shocked to see its been in remission for so long.. normally remission would be a great thing but not in this case lol.. Anyways I hope all is going well, David and if you have any updates to your treatments and diet im sure we'd all love to hear them.. I know i would as im struggling and scared to deviate much from my meat and veggie diet thAT has kept my bowel movements to a minimum in the mornings but im still struggling to get healed up id guess you could say as i cant get my stools 'normal' and it takes a half a roll of tp to finish the job of wiping.. Before being diagnosed with MC and in my low carb eating days it was a breeze to clean up.. now as mentioned its a chore...malabsorption?

Another thing that has me a little worried is the weight loss.. I've gone from 335 down to 165 since last april.. I have been pretty darn real lowcarb the whole time and work keeps me walking a lot and now running more as im doing valet for the last month.. I know i should probably be adding in more carbs but im just afraid it will screw up my BM schedule and with work that would be a really bad thing.. Shrugs...

I know from another forum that i wont mention but they really advocate...GF/DF/Ect and really push the entrolab testing.. I have pretty much done the aforementioned but not the testing for intolerances because mostly of lack money and it seems by reading there its almost a guarantee that everybody there with MC is going to get the bad news about Gluten, dairy, ect food intolerance's...

Enough rambling lol.. Take care all and I hope spring is bringing everybody happiness and new starts to healing and dealing with our crappy individual situations.

David

Co-Founder
I'm doing great. Frankly, I question my diagnosis of LC. I absolutely believe that I had high lympocytes and chronic inflammation on the microscopic level, but I suspect more and more that what they were seeing was the microscopic manifestation of a macroscopic problem (musculoskeletal). Is that the case for everyone with MC? Probably not. But I do believe it was the case for me. I say this because when I feel things starting to get bad again, doing a single stretch a couple of times a day for a few days returns everything to normal.

One thing I can't explain is the eye inflammation. That hasn't been back in a LONG time.

I still eat extremely healthy and have maintained a lot of my life changes, but I still believe the issue was macro and they were looking at the micro manifestations.