• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My journey through Crohns

Hi there. This is my first time on here after years of glancing on here for reassurance lol.
I was first diagnosed with crohn's in mid 2009 just after I turned 14. No known family history of this kind in my family. Before that from about aged 10 was a struggle - Just after I moved from the UK to NZ. Constipation was the biggest issue - sometimes not going for a few weeks. My parents thought I was just being lazy for not walking my dog, but in fact had crippling stomach aches. I was not growing really at all - I was 14 at 143cm and 26Kg. I couldn't even fit the smallest school uniform available.

I would have cold sweats, vomiting, stomach aches, pale complexion, and poor eye sight. Yet I would still go to school everyday - maybe even vomit during the day after feeling so sick. (One time I told my teacher this, and he thought I was trying to get out of a test. I finished the test and then vomited on his shoes). I would isolate myself from peers and sit down reading every break because I felt so bad. I had a really weird immune system too. I never got bugs or colds even when my family did. I was misdiagnosed a few times - they said bugs from food. My family started to think I was bulimic. I felt hurt by this as I was yearned to eat a big bowl of mashed potato and some kfc fried chicken.

My dad finally had enough with the misdiagnosis' and carried me into hospital where they did various barium tests and found out about the crohns. I then went on a liquid diet for a few months while at school. Then I had an acute episode, followed by a CT and a resection. I spent two months in hospital after a post-op infection.

After that I felt incredible. It changed things. I was on azathioprine and pentasa, and had a reasonable appetite!!!!! Eating what I wanted, what freedom!!!!! I would not talk or think about crohns in fear of jinxing myself.

Now I fear the streak has ended. Blood tests show signs of inflamation, and low iron levels. I still take pentasa and azathioprine, and was given iron supplements - but what stomach aches from the iron. Feel tired quite often from the lack of iron. I have changed to a multivitamin with iron to see if that works. Recently I have vomited pure acid a few times. I feel acidic at times right after I eat anything at all. I have stomach spasms and extreme bloating at the same time - I can literally see my stomach expand. The pain doesn't stop until I hear a gurgle. There is also a heartburn pain accompanying it. My friends don't know about my illness or ignore it cause they don't understand. I don't want to make friends with someone purely for the reason that we share the same illness either. I have never dated at all in a fear of dragging the guy down or them not understanding because I can't eat that much or get a stomach ache.

Anyways, sorry for all the writing, and thanks for reading.
from,
Kiwi Crohnsie

Hi, nzfern. This is the first time I've written anything on this forum. However I've been on it for awhile reading everyone's stories, and struggles everyone has gone through. While dealing with this terrible disease. Right now as I just read this, I couldn't believe how similar every one of your symptoms where to my. Which I have yet to see. Our medical testing and so forth are different, but I'm still shocked how similar it all sounds to me. I Hope, and Pray you will get better, and that some day soon we may have a cure for Crohns.

Hi Nz fern!,
Sorry to hear you are having pains again. It certainly sounds like you may be suffering from a flare up. Stomach cramping followed by relief after gurgling could well indicate inflammation somewhere in your bowel, I would hazard a guess at your small bowel but don't take my word for it. Could also mean a stricture or narrowing. I would get back to your doc ASAP and tell him/her. I imagine a course of pred will follow. I live in the uk now but lived in Taupo for three years, I have suffered with stomach issues for a long time but got really bad a week after I moved there. I too started with really bad constipation,for weeks on end I suffered until that gave way to fever, constant cramps and diarrhoea.
Good luck kiwi and get yourself to the doc!