• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My Journey

Back in 2013 I had the Promethus IBD blood test that came back as Crohn's. My GI had done every test and never found any evidence. A month ago I was having large amounts of rectal bleeding and had a CT which showed 60 percent of my colon inflamed more so on the right (right colon and transverse) and then the sigmoid colon. Stool tests came back normal. I was started on antibiotics anyways. I continued to get worse on the antibiotics. Ended up being hospitalized for a couple days and started on steroids, I slowly got better. I stopped the steroids and my symptoms came back. I was subsequently restarted and my symptoms started going away (abdominal cramping, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and bleeding). I had a CT enterography which came back normal. My GI still has a strong suspicion it is IBD due to the improvement in my symptoms when on steroids. He ordered the Promethus IBD blood test again, waiting for results. I am scheduled to have upper and lower scope next month. I feel frustrated with this situation. When I was in in the hospital the doctor actually mentioned that my abdominal pain was likely due anxiety even though not even a week earlier the CT showed all the inflammation. I am currently on an 8 week prednisone taper. I have lost 16 pounds over this past month when this all started.

next step is probably a biologic.
Even without a biopsy to confirm the IBD? I am nervous to go off the prednisone because I was only able to go off it for a few days before symptoms started up again. However I am not thrilled to be on it for 8 weeks. Is it possible that they would start a medication in addition to the prednisone while waiting?

they should have done biopsies,My gastro did biopsies but said there were no granulomas present therefore he could not comfirm I had IBD.