• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My life these past few months...

... It seems as if my story began approximately 7 years... unbeknownst to me... I went to my family doctor complaining of pain in my lower right quadrant... to the point I wasn't able to shower, work, etc... He ordered an ultrasound but pretty much dismissed it as ovulation, or something similar...As time went on... a few more Dr's visits... describing symptoms, etc. My Dr assumed I had Irritable Bowel Syndrome... but no tests were ever done... I was unofficially diagnosed based on Symptoms only... At one point I went to see him to show a "sore" on my bottom and he dismissed it as an ingrown hair (and because I am a larger woman, maybe my buttocks were rubbing together)... put some Polysporin on it and it'll pass... Fast forward to this past Sept where I couldn't take the pain anymore... another sick day from work... I called my local clinic... My family Dr was no longer at this practice... but a Dr there could see me... He almost immediately thought I had Crohn's but wanted me to go immediately to a local Emergency Room to be seen... That night I met my GI... where he made an unofficial diagnosis of Crohn's... but began a battery of tests to ensure he was making the correct diagnosis... He has also brought a surgeon onboard in my care as... after all these years of neglect on my body... I now have flagmon's, a cyst, and a fistula... Just to name a few things... I have a lot of inflammation... which slowly but surely is being tackled... I am on Remicadee and so far so good... of course with Imuran in that mix as well... I am complimenting that with Venofer as I am anemic also... My Dr and his team are great and I know I am on the road to remission... I would love to hear from anyone who has any advice to offer... what works for you... what doesn't etc... Thanks for reading my story...

Welcome to the Forum. I am so glad you were able to see a doctor that actually helped you. You have certainly had a rough time of it.

It sounds like you are taking all the right meds prescribed today. :)
Are you on some good vitamins with iron for your anemia?

What about a steroid?. You may have mentioned that. It usually is the first med given in a full flare (inflammation) to stop it in its tracks while the other meds start working.

You will have lots of good advice coming your way soon.

I have a fantastic Dr now... I am lucky... I could not take any vitamins for the last few months as I have been on a strict regimen of antibiotics... With the venofer infusions we decided to hold off until that was done... and I've got some time under my belt with the target dose of Imuran... Soon I am expecting... There are no steroids for me... thank goodness... I have heard some horror stories... For me during the height of my inflammation/flare up I was given Cipro and Flagyl (anti-biotics)... but no steroids...

Angrybird

Hello and welcome to the forum :)

I am glad that you were finally able to see a doc who was actually willing to do their job and find out what was wrong, hopefully you can now very soon be on the road to recovery. Out of interest have any dietary changes been discussed with you? With regards to the fistula we do have a sub forum for these that you may like to have a look as the folks here will have some advise about these: http://www.crohnsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=76.

Wishing you all the best.

AB
xx

Disnikki,

Im glad you didnt have to use steroids too.
so you are expecting? When are you due. very exciting time. check out Parenting/TTC on the general IBD discussion subforums.