• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My Life With Crohn's

I remember it like it was yesterday. The date was June 25,2009. This day should have been one the happiest of my life as I was just married a day before and honeymooning in Hilton Head South Carolina. Instead I woke up in the worse pain of my life. I was 19 years old when it all began. I went to the ER as soon as I got home with no luck. I got a bottle of pain meds and a paper that says undiagnosed abdominal pain and so it went on for 6 weeks. ER visit after ER visit and doctor after doctor the same answer came about. Finally after losing 30 pounds I found a doctor to listen to me. I am a very small person to begin with only 98 pounds so that much weightloss was very damaging to my body. I found a PCP who finally agreed to refer me to a GI. I still remember my first colonoscopy at 19 years old you don't know or should need to know where that probe is going. I remember asking the nurse where she planned on putting it and when she said in the rectum I about had a heart attack. Three days later I got the news I have crohns disease. I was not completely naive to the disease as I know a couple people who have the condition however I have learned so much since then. I have a very difficult case of Crohns as remission is nearly impossible for me even with strong drugs like remicade but I am here and kicking it hoping to find others like me to relate to. It has been almost five years since I was diagnosed and unfortunately I am no closer to remission than I was then. :ybatty:

Honey

Staff member
Hi there,
Yes, I can relate to your story!! I was diagnosed with Crohns in 2011 and it has taken until now , to find that only Remicade infusions work for me. Previous meds made me very ill e.g. I had Pancreatitis as a side effect of one!
I do not like being on such a strong drug, worried about the long term side effects, but I too, show no signs of going into remission. It is a big shock to the system to find you have a rather fickle and difficult illness. However, it does make you stronger and appreciate life. I love drawing and painting as a hobby and also photographing beautiful scenes in nature. I am sure, like me, you have shed many tears behind the scenes, but you will get there!! I promise! It is a matter of making the best of it and enjoying what you can do , between good and bad spells. I hope you are feeling good today. Best wishes.:bigwave:

nogutsnoglory

Hi Sabrina welcome, Crohn's can be a viscous and incredibly aggressive disease. Don't give up hope since there are a few therapies out there and new ones coming out within the next few years. Hopefully something will click and let you resume a normal life.

We all here understand your plight so you are in good company. Please take the time to explore our sub-forums.

Welcome, Sabrina. I was 19 when I first got sick, and it took over a year to be diagnosed. I'll tell you while right now everything might seem miserable, it gets better. I am now in my mid 40s, have a husband, child and career. The Crohn's does slow me down, but it doesn't take me out.

When I first got sick, I tried everything. Finally, after being sick for about 7 years I agreed to a bowel resection, and it changed my life. I was fine for years!

I hope you can find a treatment to work for you.