• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My little boys fistula healed!!

Yippee!!
I just wanted to share some good news. My little boy had a perianal fistula and the fistula was laid open, the wound has taken ages to heal but now has finally closed!! I hope it will stay that way and no more fistulas form!!

I know he will always have Crohn's, but it is great when something good happens!!

Just wanted to share!!
LilyRose

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Oh happy day Mum!!! :banana::banana::banana:

You are sooooo right, it is just fab when you see healing take place and your baby is no longer suffering. May last a lifetime hun...:hug:

So happy for you and your boy! :sun:
Dusty. xxxxxxxx

thats fantastic news, my son also had anal fistula and his was left open and was treated with medical manuka honey and healed wonderful!! that was last year and touch wood, he has had no more. Hope your son stays well. xx

Tesscorm

Staff member
Super news! It's always great to hear when someone is doing well! I hope he stays well for a long, long time! :thumleft:

Thank you EVERYONE for your replies!! They were so lovely to read! He is still on flagyl at the moment, but I'm going to check if he shold stop now. He still has a couple of minor grumbling things, but really he is in a good place and it is great to see the wound healed. It all started a year ago.

So, it was lovely to be able to post some good news!

thank you again for sharing in my happiness,
Lily Rose

Thank you Jeanette, it is nice to be able to share good news with people who understand. I know lots of other kids are not doing so great right now, and I know that is very hard.

Thank you again,

LilyRose

thats fantastic news, my son also had anal fistula and his was left open and was treated with medical manuka honey and healed wonderful!! that was last year and touch wood, he has had no more. Hope your son stays well. xx
Not sure if you are still active...

I am dealing with an anal fistula right now, after having an abscess in March. Treating it with manuka honey at the open wound on the buttock, until i see the surgeon.

When you say it was left open, and treated with manuka honey, what does this mean? Was there a seton placed?

I am wondering if I have any non surgical options.

Hi earthshine, he was taken to theatre to make sure it hadn't branched out in different directions and they cleaned it all out, we were given "medical" manuka to treat it with at home and dressings to cover it, it was left open to heal from the inside out. Xx
The medical manuka was prescribed by the doctor for him. X
There was no seton placed. X

Thanks for sharing

Would you mind sharing the name/contact info for your doctor?

I am not in UK, but am willing to travel to avoid surgery if possible.

Can I ask, if you don't mind...

Do you know what type of fistula it was (ie did it cross the muscles at all? How long was it? Was it near the skin surface?)

When you say it was left open to heal from the inside out, does this mean it was cut along the fistula, and left open, and you covered the entire length with manuka? How long did this process take for healing?

Your son is fortunate to have you, best wishes to both of you.

Earthshine we live in the UK and it was sick kids hospital in Glasgow we attended. The fistula wasn't deep but they didn't know this until surgery as they did say this type of surgery could possibly leave him with sphincter weakness but thank goodness it didn't. If I remember correctly it took 6 weeks or so to heal, he could have gone to school as he was n no pain whatsoever but me being such a paranoid mother kept him off in case he got infection etc. I hope it all goes well for you too.nxx