• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My medicine is not working so I am looking into diets

Has anybody had any proven success using any specific diets? I am seeing that on YouTube a lot of people are talking about carnivore diet. I also saw that a vegetarian diet had proven results in a real trial. So had anybody showed mucosal healing for their Crohns by following a diet?

Some background about me:

I have had Crohn's since July 2013 diagnosis. Bleeding was what caused me to go to the doctor. I was prescribed pentasa and it seemed to take care of the blood. Doctors also told me about Aziothioprine and Methotrexate as options as well, but those didn't seem to be very effective either. Also, I have MS as well so it takes the biologics off the table.

My latest colonoscopy showed that the pentasa has not been working. I am also taking low dose naltrexone as well. Neither seem to do anything for me.

I've rarely used medications,its been 14 years now. But using diet is very difficult and diet alone won't be enough for a severe case.

Learn about the Specific carbohydrate diet and FODMAP diet, or IBD-AID link

My diet is somewhere between these concepts while using an elimination diet principle to find very specific foods I might be sensitive to. I'd say watch out for garlic celery and onions, only in a broth would those be kind of ok, with the fibrous parts removed. Oats are the most neutral grains I can recommend. Beans rice potatoes eat sparingly.

Another good place to start with diet is eliminate red meat and high iron seafood. Eat only chicken, fish, sometimes turkey. Eliminate all food additives.

Last edited:
The funny thing about me is that I don't have a lot of sensitivity to foods that I can notice. I feel in the past that having pizza may have constipated me, however, I had it last week with no problems. In fact, my crohn's doesn't really have symptoms at all, period. Somehow my intestines can be inflamed and stricturing and I don't even feel it. I'm wondering if there is any diet that will be able to cure things... I did see that an actual trial was done showing a vegan diet worked.

Oh, and yes I have done the specific carbohydrate diet years ago. Very hard to adhere to as it is so strict, but I would be open to anything if I can hear that it's actually working through mucosal healing.

The really serious but effective dietary intervention is Exclusive Enteral Nutrition (EEN)--an all-formula diet. It's commonly used for kids but can also work for adults.

Regarding medications, you may want to look into biologics such as Stelara.

Lynda Lynda

You wrote "cure things" but to my knowledge there is no cure for Crohns Disease. My current treatment plan is Stelara, Methotrexate, Budesonide and Folic Acid.

The funny thing about me is that I don't have a lot of sensitivity to foods that I can notice. I feel in the past that having pizza may have constipated me, however, I had it last week with no problems. In fact, my crohn's doesn't really have symptoms at all, period. Somehow my intestines can be inflamed and stricturing and I don't even feel it. I'm wondering if there is any diet that will be able to cure things... I did see that an actual trial was done showing a vegan diet worked.

Oh, and yes I have done the specific carbohydrate diet years ago. Very hard to adhere to as it is so strict, but I would be open to anything if I can hear that it's actually working through mucosal healing.
Hey I am also in same situation. Whatever I eat I don't see any symptoms upfront but some how I am still getting inflamtion and couldn't figure out how to control it. Please let me know if you find any solution. Thanks in advance

You wrote "cure things" but to my knowledge there is no cure for Crohns Disease. My current treatment plan is Stelara, Methotrexate, Budesonide and Folic Acid.
Actually I saw a study that showed something like 15 of 16 crohn's patients were in remission due to a whole foods plant based diet. I am thinking I will try this, unfortunately I have never done plant based and don't really know where to start. But I will be going to the grocery store today and pick up some fruits and veggies. I am also seeing a ridicilous amount of people raving about the carnivore diet on YouTube, however, I can't find anybody actually showing scientific evidence (blood work, colonoscopy results, etc.)

At least the plant based diet did have a study showing improvement.

Here is a link to the study:

I was really hoping that people in this forum have tried some diets and could tell me about colonoscopy results as I know we all do plenty of those in here.

Actually I saw a study that showed something like 15 of 16 crohn's patients were in remission due to a whole foods plant based diet. I am thinking I will try this, unfortunately I have never done plant based and don't really know where to start. But I will be going to the grocery store today and pick up some fruits and veggies. I am also seeing a ridicilous amount of people raving about the carnivore diet on YouTube, however, I can't find anybody actually showing scientific evidence (blood work, colonoscopy results, etc.)

At least the plant based diet did have a study showing improvement.

Here is a link to the study:

I was really hoping that people in this forum have tried some diets and could tell me about colonoscopy results as I know we all do plenty of those in here.
You can look up Jordan Peterson and his daughter's remarkable journey managing their autoimmune problems on the carnivore (or the Lion) diet. She almost "wasn't going to make it" was Dr. Peterson's quote either in his book or on Rogan's show.

Mikhaila's underlying problem is the most severe so she adopted the most restrictive diet.

You should combine medication with a personalized diet.

One potential option for incorporating more fruits and vegetables into your diet is by incorporating salads into your meal plan. Grape salad, for example, can be a delicious and nutritious option that is low in calories and high in vitamins and minerals.

However, it's important to remember that not all salads are created equal. Some salads may contain high levels of added sugars, unhealthy fats, or other ingredients that may exacerbate certain health conditions. Consulting with a healthcare provider or registered dietitian can help you identify the right types of salads and other foods that will be most beneficial for your specific health needs.

Always consult with a healthcare provider or a registered dietitian before making any significant dietary changes or starting a new diet, especially if you have a chronic condition such as Crohn's disease. They can provide you with evidence-based recommendations and help develop a comprehensive treatment plan tailored to your specific needs.

Last edited: