• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My miracle cure?

G

gr8deadfan

I signed up for this forum mainly just to throw this out to any other people who may be interested:

A few years back, my wife (who is Peruvian) suggested I try something called Uña de gato (pronounced 'oo-nyah'). It is made form a vine that grows in South America and is quite popular there for treating intestinal illnesses. Before taking this I would have 2-3 moderate flare ups a year (I was diagnosed in 2001). I started taking 2 pills a day (one in the morning and one in the evening) in early 2005. I had not one single flare up in all of 2005 and did not have a flare up until march of 2006, when I had run out of the pills. The flare up occurred within two weeks of running out of pills (which are quite expensive here, but cheap in Peru) and was one of the worst one I have had to date, loosing almost 50% of my blood. I started taking the Uña de gato shortly after and have not had another incident since, closing in on another year without a flare up. Also, my bouts of intestinal pain have dramatically reduced in frequency.

I will note that this entire time I have always stayed on my prescribed medications (Pentasa - 4 pills, 3x a day) and won't soon quit my medication in favor of this. It could be purely coincidental, but who knows...

I just wanted to put this out there and see if any one else has had luck with this supplement and to get your thoughts on this. The name is "cats claw" in English if you want to do some research on it for yourself.

~Alan

R

ruthymg

I've heard of Cats Claw but haven't tried it,thanks for the useful info.

Ruth

G

gr8deadfan

Hi,

I travel to Peru several times a year as my wife still lives there while we are waiting on her immigration to the US, so I pick up 3 bottles every time I go. It works out to less than $10 a bottle for 180 capsules. I have searched for it on the internet and there are several places that sell it here, with a wide variety of prices. Unforutunately, the one I buy in Peru is the most expensive one that I have seen for sale in the US here. It's the only one I've used so I'm not sure about the quality of the other brands out there.

~Alan

F

fgillette1986

Interesting to say the least. I'll pass on the information to my friend who suffers from IBS. Everything he's tried so far doesn't work.

G

gr8deadfan

Wow, thanks for that link! I am very glad to see that other people have had pretty much the same experiences as me. For those that want to see it, it is under MEDICINES (reviews) --> Holistic, then scroll down to Cat's Claw - Herbal Supplement. The reviews are all good except for one guy who said he couldn't tell a difference.

I have never been one to believe in any type of herbal remedy, but the results are undeniable. I am now a little more confident in recommending other people try this (while staying on your prescribed meds of course!) and would be thrilled if this post helped even one person.

~Alan