• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My only mentionable vice

I have been diagnosed with Crohn's for a long time, it has been a daily and nightly problem throughout. Stress, food, odours and even just surprise 'attacks' have always been issues.

When first diagnosed I had all the usual treatments, steroids gave me moonface, another one caused tachycardia and was hospitalised while my weight plummeted. After that i was determined to get along without messing about with drugs, including herbal remedies.

And i have all it required was planning ahead, locations of toilets, not eating too much if a long trip was on the cards, it has meant i am lazy when it comes to my diet and may shock some other sufferers, love a curry, potatoes with skins, fried foo, all the good/bad stuff! And i have with hind sight have happily paid the price with the pin and discomfort that followed. I regret eating nothing.

Got surgery coming up, and doctors will umm and ahh about whether or not diet may be a contributing factor to my tumour's and inflamed bowel that are being removed. Have had a selection of 'last meals', foods i may not be able to eat again, some i have not been able to tolerate once the cooking starts as my nausea is incredibly sensitive at the moment, and i look on sadly as the girlfriend feeds an increasingly happy looking dog.

Once surgery is complete i intend to try and find foods that are tasty and not live to a diet, crohn's has been an unwelcome presence for such a long time in my life i do not intend it to cripple me much further.

valleysangel92

Staff member
Hello there

I'm sorry to hear that it has come to surgery. I hope that it is successful.

You mention that you don't want to 'mess about' with medications, but I hope this doesn't mean you have totally closed off to the idea of meds. They can be a life saver for many, and if you talk about them with your doctor they could really improve your quality of life and dramatically improve your chances of stable remission after the surgery. Please try to keep an open mind. As you are finding out, the consequences of under managed crohns can be extremely severe and are often worse than the side effects of the medications.

Whilst I completely understand your want for tasty meals, remember that your health is important the surgery might force some restrictions on you for a little while at least.

Please keep us informed of how you are doing and let us know if there is anything at all we can help with. I sincerely hope that the surgery is successful and gets you feeling yourself again. I wish you a speedy and uneventful recovery :).

Thank you for your well wishes and comments, and i do not recommend my course without careful thought.

I must of hit nearly every side effect listed.

Have been off treatment for best part 16 years, yes I have pain, but my quality of life is a lot better than when I was on medications, the surgery I am having is the first hospital treatment I have had since being hospitalised with tachycardia caused by the crohns medication.

Looking back I would do the same again, the discomfort and pain are difficult but I manage on my own terms and I get a good meals.

Am aware my diet will change after surgery but weighed in the balance and my doctors shrugged shoulders, I could of ended up in the same position anyway but with 16 years of a useless diet behind me.