• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My pains started at 12, still no answer.

Hello everyone,
My name is Brittany. i've been suffering from stomach problems all my life but the actual pain began when i was 12 years old. when i was 15 i had an upper endoscopy and they decided i had esophogitis or acid reflux. i went another 2 years with the treatment for acid reflux not working, then decided to get a colonoscopy. the results of my colonoscopy were that i had red areas and inflammation of the entrance to my small intestines yet the biopsy was negative. so my doctor told me that i have ibs... now i've done everything i was supposed to for the ibs and nothing has changed. i'm 20 years old now and actually had a gi appointment today. this doctor thinks i have gastroparesis, and he wants me to take fiber supplements... after one supplement i'm again in pain. i live on white rice, noodles and boiled chicken... any suggestions on what i should do?

much appreciated!
Brittany

Britt - your story sounds so much like my daughters, she still doesn't have a diagnosis.

What tests have you had so far? Other than pain do you have any other symptoms?

You have come to the right place there are so many lovely, knowledgeable, supportive people on here, you will get so much information!!

Keep fighting and good luck!

xx :ghug:

Hey Britt

It's really bad that you still don't have a secure diagnosis although you had symptoms for 8 years.

I am a bit puzzled with the GI you have seen today/yesterday. You said your last colonoscopy was done 3 years ago and your last endoscopy 5 years ago? It seems odd that with your symptoms and history of diagnostics this GI wouldn't sit down with you and discuss that first you really need to figure out a secure diagnosis. Just because the biopsy of some samples didn't point to Crohn's or UC isn't proof you don't have one of those (of course noone want to have Crohn's or UC...).

Is this GI specialized on IBD? If not, my advice is to really find a GI who is and have a blood test done (to check inflammation markers), a new colonoscopy, endoscopy and potentially an MRI (to check for inflammation in the intestine). That way you can really be certain about your diagnosis and can also finally start to get the right treatment. After all, you are regularly in pain, that's not something that should persist, should it?

well i'm sorry that your daughter has to go through this and thank you very much for the support. so far i've had a colonoscopy an endoscopy and a hydascan where they monitored my galbladder. I can go a few months where i feel fine with almost no symptoms at all, which honestly makes me doubt i'm sick at all, and then i'll have i guess whats called a flare up and go a few months of just constant constipation and diarrhea battling it out between eachother. my intestines almost always feel swollen... and nothing really digests well. on my really bad days i have to lay in bed in a fetal position all day because i feel as though my intestines are going to explode or i am being stabbed by 100 knives. i've seen 3 different gi doctors... i have a little more faith in this new doctor than the others but i suppose we'll see. the other two i feel rushed through my appointments and diagnosed me with whatever was the easiest option for them. luckily i have phenergan and i take it almost like candy to get through my work days.

Hey Britt

It's really bad that you still don't have a secure diagnosis although you had symptoms for 8 years.

I am a bit puzzled with the GI you have seen today/yesterday. You said your last colonoscopy was done 3 years ago and your last endoscopy 5 years ago? It seems odd that with your symptoms and history of diagnostics this GI wouldn't sit down with you and discuss that first you really need to figure out a secure diagnosis. Just because the biopsy of some samples didn't point to Crohn's or UC isn't proof you don't have one of those (of course noone want to have Crohn's or UC...).

Is this GI specialized on IBD? If not, my advice is to really find a GI who is and have a blood test done (to check inflammation markers), a new colonoscopy, endoscopy and potentially an MRI (to check for inflammation in the intestine). That way you can really be certain about your diagnosis and can also finally start to get the right treatment. After all, you are regularly in pain, that's not something that should persist, should it?
thank you for the concern. i wasn't informed if this doctor is specialized in ibd or not. i did have some blood taken today but i'm not positive what for. he put me on a regimen for gastroparesis which is a slow digesting system due to damage to the vegus nerve. he said to try this for a month and call them to see how it goes. if it doesn't help then we'll begin testing with the scopes again. the only thing i'm not sure about with this diagnosis is that gastroparesis is most commonly caused by diabetes, which i do not have.

Last edited: