• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My pants don't fit

fenway1971

Sports Crohnie
Some jeans and a suit I bought last xmas don't fit me anymore. I now swim in them thanks to being off prednisone. My pregnant belly is gone along with 2 inches of my girth.

Think I can take them back and get a refund?

Depends where you got them... usual policy is 90 days with a receipt... but sometimes you can just take it in without a receipt and exchange it for in store credit (aka don't tell them how long ago you bought it) However the only problem with that is it could be zeroed out of their system (for being too old) and most systems give you the lowest clearance price when returning it without a receipt and if its zeroed out, it will ring up at .00 and it won't help you much. But you could try it.

J

JillianB82

fenway1971 said:
Some jeans and a suit I bought last xmas don't fit me anymore. I now swim in them thanks to being off prednisone. My pregnant belly is gone along with 2 inches of my girth.

Think I can take them back and get a refund?
Oh no! Not 2 inches of your girth!!! :eek:

If you can not return them, you can always donate them. ;) P.S. Tax deduction!!!!

I wish I had this problem sometimes. hehehe :) You could always keep them just in case you ever need them again or donate them. I'm sure plenty of underpriviledged men out there would love to wear your suit!

I'd keep them in case you need them in the future. I've got clothes for my many match-stick and man-boob phases. Right now I'm recovering from an extended fat period so my clothes are also starting to get baggy.

haha my dad had an aquaintance that had crohns and he said that he kept a "pred section" in his closet. allllll the fat clothes.
unfortunately, you never know when you may need them =/
i would say hold onto them. saves you buying some stuff if it happens again *crosses fingers that you may be pred free for the rest of your LIFE*
i keep ALL my jeans. ranging from size 00-5. i have a store's worth almost, yet only 2 pair that fit me right now agh!

My belly will blow up at a moment's notice. I got so fed up of sitting at work with the waist band of my trousers cutting into me (after 30 years of this) that I decided to get some new suits for work with really big waist measurements... like clowns' trousers. The problem was how to stop them falling down when I was in "thin mode". My wife finally found a really great belt... looks like leather at the front, but elasticated round the back... so it's a bit like having a suit with an elasticated waist-band... result!
Since I got them I've only worn them a couple of times... been off work sick for weeks!

If I find a shirt I really like at a good price, I buy it both in L and XL. I learned to do that after I shrunk out of some of my favorite clothes. I also buy boxers and jeans in two different sizes when I see a good deal, and I'll even buy a size smaller if the deal is good enough.

I did get rid of my clothes from when I was at my absolute biggest, but that's because Prednisone didn't get me there. Having a girlfriend that worked the closing shift at Outback and brought home food every night got me there.

Agent X20 said:
My wife finally found a really great belt... looks like leather at the front, but elasticated round the back... so it's a bit like having a suit with an elasticated waist-band... result!
I want that belt. :D

If you really like them, keep them... i have clothes of varying sizes because my weight drastically fluctuates.... got clothes for every weight phase.

currently i'm in my bigger phase. *sigh* :(

I hate to say it but I have a habit of keeping jeans of 32, 34, and 36 inch waists simply from bulking gains from the gym, then cutting to trim the fat, 15-25 lb annual fluctuations were normal for me before this disease, so long before Crohns (BC) I had the habit of retaining clothes for when I upped the calories, and then dropped several inches when I'd carb cycle away some excess fat. I guess I kept that habit because I still plan on continuing that trend of working out and cycling my weight (which is standard bodybuilding practice) and getting to about 220 lbs of 9% bodyfat....as I don't want to let Crohns dictate my life more than I have to allow it. It was horrid enough getting "butt muscles" and having a 33" waist but needing "butt room" via bigger than 33" waist pants. It's frustrating because guy's pants don't seem to be designed to have an ass unless the waist is also like 40 damn inches, and some of us actually do have asses along with smaller waists. Then being bed-ridden robs you of every fiber in your ass....Then even your lower back muscles growing can make the waist tighter...But I'm rambling....

I'd say, like the others, to hold onto them, and just buy some new ones now. I wouldn't go the "belt route" myself because then the pants just look funky on you. Then again that could be because I'm one of the ones to wear athletic fit/form fitting pants/shirts, so I don't like things too baggy. I bet you'll be thankful if you buy some nice ones now that fit real well, naturally, and then it'll also motivate you to stay with a lower waist and fight to stay off pred perhaps too. Buy a nice new pair of pants just for Jillian, and pair it with the wolf shirt. :)

Last edited:

forum contributor

Captain Obvious
kello82 said:
haha my dad had an aquaintance that had crohns and he said that he kept a "pred section" in his closet. allllll the fat clothes.
unfortunately, you never know when you may need them =/
i would say hold onto them. saves you buying some stuff if it happens again *crosses fingers that you may be pred free for the rest of your LIFE*
i keep ALL my jeans. ranging from size 00-5. i have a store's worth almost, yet only 2 pair that fit me right now agh!
Know what you mean. Before I got sick(er? est?), I was an 8 or 10 (when we were on our 10-year-anniversary cruise). Got sick on the 2nd night of the trip. By the middle of it, I was swimming in my clothes and needed to buy new stuff.
That was in June. By August, I was a size 4. But then I had to go on a med to get myself off everything for my headaches (whole nother forum!!), and it made me gain weight. Went to a size 8.
Now I'm a size 6.
So, I have 4's, 6's, and 8's. Ugh.

When I moved I got rid of most of my skinny stuff because I had so much clothes that I didn't think I could justify bringing all the extra that did not fit. Sure enough, within the first 3 months of getting rid of my clothes I lost around 35lbs. I made do with my vastly oversized clothes for a while until I said enough is enough and bought some new stuff. At this point I started gaining wait and I am almost back to where I was before. It never ends! :)