• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My poor lips!!

Does anyone else have lip issues?

My lips have been chronically chapped for years, but now they are red all around the lips, with occasional little bumps (not cold sores), and they are very uncomfortable.

Is this Crohn's related, and what can I do about it?

Last edited:
I just googled and saw it can be anything from your toothpaste to thyroid disease. You can probably rule out most of the possible causes by googling, as you know what products you use as well as your health history.

I hope you're just using the wrong toothpaste! :)

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
In addition to what was already said, I'd like to add that lip issues can also be a sign of deficiency of certain B vitamins. Awhile back, my lips became red, raw, and peeling - they'd be red and painful all morning, then they'd peel and I'd have lip skin flaking off all afternoon. Every day was like that for a few months until I got it figured out. It turned out to be a B vitamin deficiency. Supplementing with B6 and B12 solved my issue and my lips thankfully went back to normal. You should of course check with your doctor first and have bloodwork done to check for deficiencies.

Catatonic is right, it is a vitamin deficiency and for me that is usually due to my crohn's flaring up. I'd take a b complex and see if that helps :)

I take a multivitamin. I'll have to look and see if it contains all of the B vitamins. Thanks Cat-a-Tonic and Crohns08.

kromom1 Is it a store bought multi vitamin or a prescribed one?

Because often the store bought vitamins contain tiny amounts compared to prescribed treatment, and may not be suitably strong for treating a deficiency.

As an example my prescribed iron anaemia treatment is 400-600mg of iron daily, in tablet form of 200mg each. Whereas store bought iron (in a multi or as a stand alone) is typically 7-14mg per dose, often once per day.

May be worth checking in with you Dr for a few blood tests.

Hello, Kromom1. Since being diagnosed with Crohn's, I sometimes get angular cheilitis -- sores on the corner of the mouth, + the border of the lips extends out beyond where it normally does. You might want to google this in case that's what's going on. If it is, a dermatologist can prescribe two creams that you mix together and apply twice a day. Works like a charm for me!

Thank you, Lollyadverb! That is exactly what I have!! Would you mind telling me the names of the creams that you use?

Lisa

Thanks Jenie123. I am going to call my dermatologist today for an appointment, but I do drink lots of water everyday and constantly keep some type of lip balm/moisturizer on my lips all the time because they are so uncomfortable.

Lady Organic

Staff member
I too suffered from minor chronic cheilitis for a couple of years just before my crohns diagnosis. At some point it evolved into photosensitivity / sun allergy. It decided to react to UVB rays, so I have to put sunscreen on my lips and around them at all time when I go outside. If I dont, I get an extreme painful rash, eczema type. I saw 2 dermatologists including one specialized with sun reactions and nothing could help me, only cortisone creams to reduce the inflammation after sun exposure. Its been many years the cheilitis is gone now, but I still have the sun reaction if my lips are unprotected. now that summer is starting Im trying a SFP 30 for the first time in 15 years instead of a 60. So far so good (before, even 30 was not enough!). IM still hoping one day this sun reaction will be over and can go outside without stressing getting a sunburn on my lips. Have you tried protecting your lips with sunscreen and see if this could help or be sun related?

for cheilitis, hydration is one key. I put on my lips avocado nut butter and karite butter (on my body too). These are extremly rich and very helpful in the winter with the cold and dryness.

Lady Organic

Staff member
I buy it in a specialized store which sells only organic products from nature, such as essential oils, fruits and nuts butters, etc. I believe its a pretty unique type of store. A health food store could help you in that regard and maybe they sell some. just checked on the web and I found some sold on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Avocado-Butter-16-Oz-SAAQIN/dp/B003J8ZT38
IM not sure of the quality though or if it is organic.
in the meantime you can also try coconut oil/butter which is easy to find, but the hydration capacity is minimal compared to avocado and karité butters.