• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My (relatively new) Crohn's Journey

Hello!
My name is Jenna, and I am 20 years old. Last April (exactly one month before my birthday!) I was diagnosed with a severe case of Crohn's disease. On a weekend conference trip with my school's honor society, I had gotten some serious stomach pains and frequent trips to the bathroom following breakfast...assuming I had just eaten some bad sausage, I sat out the day's activities but thought nothing of it. However, when I got home, these symptoms didn't go away.
Since debilitating stomach pains and diarrhea 6 or 7 times a day is not an issue many people are comfortable sharing openly, I avoided saying anything about it to anyone for several weeks. I finally decided to visit my general physician about the issue. He asked about my symptoms and if I had lost any weight; I hadn't noticed a difference, but I was very wrong. Assuming that I had caught salmonella from my two pet turtles (I was offended, my turtles are harmless!) he ordered me for stool and urine samples (ew). These tests though came out negative for all the infections my doctor had tested me for, I was referred to a gastroenterologist.
In the meantime, I was still running to the bathroom, and consumed with stomach cramping. I was terrified! It was totally not normal, and who could I vent to without being completely embarrassed?
After meeting with my GI, a woman who I am SO grateful for today, she suspected Celiac disease. That also terrified me, as I am more than dependent on my gluten-y carbs. Unfortunately, I was off to California for another Honor Society conference and my tests were pushed until after the trip. It was in San Jose that my symptoms grew unbearable. I was uncomfortable at the least and paralyzed in pain at the most, I hadn't slept through an entire night the whole trip and exhaustion was an understatement. Following my return from the trip, I was so overwhelmed, exhausted, and sick that I couldn't return to either of my two jobs for nearly 3 weeks.
The first of my tests was an upper endoscopy, which ruled out the Celiac. But my Dr. found granulomas in my stomach which she said were actually signs of Crohn's. That partnered with my blood work, which showed alarmingly 'markers of inflammation' my doctor was almost convinced of my Crohn's diagnosis. I was then subjected to the UBER unpleasant barium swallow test. When looking at my X ray results from my test, I described the images to my parents as "it looked like someone shredded my intestines." Little did I know the test was illustrating the severe inflammation of my colon. A colonoscopy (the most miserable experience of my life to date; NOTHING went right!) my Crohn's was confirmed.
After my diagnosis, I had a really hard time recovering. I had lost over 20 pounds in just 6 weeks (I'm small to begin with, but at that point I weighed less than a hundred lbs), was highly anemic to the point where a blood transfusion didn't even provide relief, and was completely malnourished. I had a very difficult time gaining back my weight, and once I started I found that I didn't want it and struggled with a slight eating disorder. I was still somewhat depressed a month later, that I cried hysterically after our silent dinner on my 20th birthday and forced my boyfriend to take me home before 7:30.
But, despite all of this, I am not complaining. Almost a year after my diagnosis, I am feeling better than ever! I completed a dose of entocort/budesonide to treat my flare, and am currently receiving remicade infusions every 8 weeks. My symptoms have decreased dramatically, though not entirely-I'm not sure that will ever happen. I've transferred to four year university and just completed my first semester with a 3.9 GPA...I am so thankful for my family and friends who stuck by me, cared for me, and made me laugh even on my darkest days. I'm hoping that if you are newly diagnose, you made it to the bottom of this endless story, and realize that it does get better! Just hang in there!

Thank you for sharing your story. I was officially diagnosed in December, although I have a pretty mild case right now I'm paralyzed with fear of any and all drugs. I haven't taken anything until I can get a second opinion on treatment options, but that won't be until March. Because I have a pretty mild case I'm afraid the drugs will make me feel worse than the disease, I only have mild cramping and one bowel movement a day. I can tell I'm flaring and am trying to get the courage to try entocort, how bad were your side effects? I am desperate to gain some weight, 5'8" and 95 lbs is scary skinny, I'm not absorbing much. I was diagnosed with Celiac last year too, maybe I'm so used to feeling sick I underestimate my real health condition.

Tiredandsick,
I was very wary about the medications too, but I figured that the side effects couldn't be any worse than my symptoms and decided to go for it. The Entocort was actually very good for me...I noticed a reduction in my symptoms within the first few weeks (it sometimes takes a while to adjust) and the only side effect that I experienced was a sensitivity to the sun, which was just an inconvenience in the middle of the summer, 10 minutes from the beach. Entocort made me even more comfortable because it is targeted to only be released into your system once it comes in contact with enzymes isolated to your intestines so the common steroid qualities (puffy cheeks being one) are much less of a concern. Especially if you're having trouble gaining back your weight I would suggest to at least give them a try, and if you have a problem, they'll wean you off of it as soon as possible. Just remember, steroids like Entocort are not long term treatment drugs, so you shouldn't be on them for any extended amount of time

Thanks for sharing your story! I'm also 20, and I know how difficult it can be - especially at this age. I was diagnosed about a year ago and I've been having symptoms for 2 years. I have a boyfriend too, and it's hard because he don't understand when I say I am sick, it's not normal sick. It's more like excruciating, unbearable, forcing me in the fetal position pain that I can't stand.. it's tough. I always get worried about completely screwing up my insides, I am currently recovering from a partial obstruction after being in the hospital for 6 days.. and I thought I was doing fine, it came out of nowhere! This disease can be so confusing lol, and quite frankly I am clueless! Can't wait until Jan 28 to see my gastro doctor again.. oh the excitement! :)

Oh my goodness! I hope you're recovering well! Everything about this disease is unexpected...I'm due for my second colonoscopy in march...can't wait! lol

Oh my goodness! I hope you're recovering well! Everything about this disease is unexpected...I'm due for my second colonoscopy in march...can't wait! lol
Hahah oh god, I dread the day I have to get another one of those! I had to take dulcolax the first night or so of the prep, which is a stimulant laxative and it gave me such bad pain I couldn't stand it, it made me faint, and I went to the hospital and they told me I was dehydrated (pretty sure that's not what it was but anyways lol) and I ended up having to stay overnight. And that shit you have to drink? I don't know how I ever got it downnnn. I threw half of it up and thank god whatever was left in me was enough to "clean me out" enough. Colonoscopies are nightmares :ybatty: Good luck!! :)

SAME! I threw up a lot to the point where I wasn't sure if I could even do it...and then I was so dehydrated by the time I got to the appointment I couldn't provide a urine sample for the pregnancy test. I kept the an entire staff an extra hour just trying to pee! And well, also to recover from my tears.....

SAME! I threw up a lot to the point where I wasn't sure if I could even do it...and then I was so dehydrated by the time I got to the appointment I couldn't provide a urine sample for the pregnancy test. I kept the an entire staff an extra hour just trying to pee! And well, also to recover from my tears.....
Hahah oh no! :( I have to say, I thought that the colonoscopy would be much easier.. camp out in the bathroom for the weekend and relax (lol) I was sadly mistaken!!