• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My resection surgery story

Here is what happened. I got really sick and they told me they need to to an emergency resection surgery. The next day, they explained everything and brought me to the OP room. (Which is the waiting room before surgery) I told my mom (by the way, I just turned 13) that I felt nervous because I had a really young surgeon and one I haven't met yet. I told her that I hope it was was someone older and with more experience. Then this man (around 80) came in with a surgeon outfit and mask on. He was shaking REALLY badly and barely could walk. His arm shook like my grandma's arm before she had a stroke. I started to freak out because I thought HE was my surgeon! They gave me some medicine through my IV and it relaxed me... I mean A LOT. I forgot everything! I just remember waking up crying. I heard the word 'bag' and I thought I had one. (It was a possibility) My mom said I didn't have one. Then suddenly, I felt this horrible pain in my stomach. I started crying because I didn't know I had surgery at that moment. They gave me morphine and it didn't work the first few times. After it started working, they brought me back to my room. I was still tired and I went to bed. I woke up and felt much better. They kept me on pain meds until I asked them to keep me off of them. Nothing really happened the next three days. I went home four days after my surgery. (the minimum was 1 week) so I guess I was doing good. Right now it's my third day home! My incision feels so much better and I'm walking like normal now. My incision stings a little and I don't know why. I couldn't even feel it yesterday. It's just stinging all of a sudden and I don't know if I should clean it or not. Anyway, that's what happened the day of my surgery.

Hi Audi, it sounds like you've been through a lot ! I'm glad your surgery went so well. It is wonderful that you're having a speedy recovery and got to go home early. You are a brave one for 13 ! I am 35 and don't think I would have been as brave as you . Anyway just wanted to say hello and I hope the stinging from your incision goes away soon. I have never had surgery so I can't tell you if you should clean it or not. Take care of yourself and keep us posted.

I admire your courage, Audi! I started my operations when I was 53, and I was a lot scareder than you! You are a warrior! I will be sending you happy thoughts, and btw, I was silly on that medicine too, lol! Allison

Audi~

Wow! You are so awesome, I am an art teacher and teach kids that are your age I can not image what you are going through. I am so impressed by your strength. I am 30 and I just had my first surgery, in January. I got sick, it was sudden, and my surgeon was old too and I did not meet him till right before surgery. He did turn out to be great though. My incision stung and was uncomfortable for a while. I showered and would gently clean my incision area. One nurse said I would probably be better off using an anti-bacterial soap rather than the good smelling stuff. The little bandages stayed with me for quite a while and as they fell off cleaning became easier. Now it is just a scar that I have been putting cream on to soften and hopefully lighten it a bit. Hopefully you continue to be strong and are on the path to recovery.

Trista