• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My role

My husband was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis two years ago. He was hospitalized for ten days and all the sudden two foodies had to accept our new normal. After we finally got his first flare under control he went into remission with only a few small bumps in the road for two years. Today we are entering our third week of him being violently ill after being diagnosed with a bacterial infection called c-diff. He was symptom free for about five days before our second round hit. We've read he has a 65% chance of getting it again if he's gotten it a second time. His UC is flared as a side effect and he hasn't eaten more than a slice of toast or a banana in days! He has had several accidents and is absolutely dehumanized, depressed, and feeling hopeless. I try not to let him see me cry but between him being so sick and two small boys to take care of I'm feeling pretty defeated too. I joined today to ask...A) what are the most beneficial things I can do to help improve his quality of life and B) what have you done that works for you? I know everyone is different but we have to start somewhere. I'm going to encourage an elimination diet and a food journal when he gets over this flare/infection.

If urgency is an issue, Depends and a bedside commode for a short time may help. It isn't sexy, but better than accidents....
Cdiff is horrible, hang in there. Educate yourself on best practices for treatment. Do they have him taking probiotics?

I think a food journal is a great idea. I am sorry for what you are going through. I try to stay away from the foods that I know trigger my disease.. You have found a great place of support. I wish you all the best. Please keep us updated.

If urgency is an issue, Depends and a bedside commode for a short time may help. It isn't sexy, but better than accidents....
Cdiff is horrible, hang in there. Educate yourself on best practices for treatment. Do they have him taking probiotics?
No, that is the one point of frustration. We don't particularly feel like his GI is really doing much for him. We read about some different probiotics today and plan to ask tomorrow.