• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My sex drive sucks

I don't know if its from Crohns or a side affect of the Imuran, but I just really don't feel like having relations with my wife. Which is really bad because we are trying to have a child. Anyone else experience anything similar and if so, how did you fix it?

If you like Asparagus, have a big plate full for supper. It is strange, but it will cause you to "wake up in the middle of the night" if you know what I mean.

Dan

Hmmmm interesting....does the asparagus work for women????? obviously I won't "wake up in the middle of the night" but yea...I'm having lack of interest problems myself. I'm also on Imuran. But I also know that it's hard for my husband in that he has said, he never knows how I'm really feeling and doesn't want me to feel added pressure. Oh this is such a fun disease.

ameslouise

And it gives you stinky pee!

Low libido is a very common side effect of Crohn's and IBD. Who feels like "doing it" when you feel crummy or don't have control of your bowels???

Good luck, Huff! Let us know if it works.

- Amy

I would use fresh asparagus, not the frozen stuff. It is more likely to contain more of the vitamins that make it work. I do not normally like it, but when it is baked with Olive oil on it, I do like it.

Dan

I really feel for you, I've had this problem before, but I think you should cut yourself some slack, who feels like sex when they're feeling ill?

I think libido is mostly in the mind. For me, ill-health makes me not want to have sex, which makes me feel bad because I feel like I'm letting my boyfriend down, which makes me feel pressured into wanting to have sex, which makes me stressed and makes me not want to have sex even more! The pressure of wanting to start a family must make things even harder. Kinda takes the fun out of it doesn't it. Maybe if you try and dedicate some time for the bedroom, and try and view sex as something you can enjoy regardless of crohn's, rather than as something you should be doing to make a baby, or to prove you can/want to. If you can relax and just have some fun with it I reckon you'll feel better in no time.

Either that or you could try eating asparagus, in a candle-lit bubble bath, listening to romantic music - that's gotta work! Good luck and I hope you and your wife get pregnant very soon :)

I've been away on vacation and it feels both good and bad to be back home.

I have a low sex drive only when I'm bloated, having abdominal pain and non stop diarrhea:)

Arg! The thought of all that fiber scares me! I absolutely love asparagus.

My sex drive is virtually nonexistent, but it makes a lot of sense for us women. We hurt inside, then you guys put... Yeah, you get my point.

I really wish there was a way to take out my guts and put them on ice for one wild night. *sigh*

Either that or you could try eating asparagus, in a candle-lit bubble bath, listening to romantic music - that's gotta work! Good luck and I hope you and your wife get pregnant very soon :)

The bubble bath would be great, but i would probably fall asleep :p The pregnant thing...not holding my breath, we have been trying for three years. Both of us have been checked and are good to go so I just think it will happen when God believes it should.

Well asparagus didn't work, still bluh, but the food was good and my wife was happy I cooked. She said she may fire herself now, so I told her as long as she is the one to go to the CRNA school that's fine.