• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My son's in surgery right now for abcess.

My son's in surgery right now for an abcess. They are hoping it is drainable because, if it is, they will drain it with a needle.

If there are fistulas they will put in a stringy thing called a ceton, to keep the fistula open and drainable.

Later his DI wants to get him started on 6mp and remicade - he said these drugs help fistulas heal and also reduce the number of new ones that may form.

He's out of surgery. Surgeon said everything went fine. He had a small abcess, which they did some draining on. There was also a partial fistula - it didn't go all the way and connect to anything else but they put some type of drainage device in it.

Next they want to do 6mp and remicade.

He's out of the recovery room and back in his regular room. He's pretty groggy but had enough energy to drink two fruit slushy drinks.

I think he's doing fine. I want to thank you all for your comments. This bulletin board really gives me a comforting connection to people who have a strong interest and connection to crohn.

He's home now and back to playing video games.

I think while we were in the hospital (my wife and alternated staying in the room with him) I must have played about 60 games of foosball (he was at a children's hospital that had a gameroom that had a foosball table).

aw it sounds like he's feeling okay :)

i remember when my son was little, he was in hospital with whooping cough, in an isolated room... the only thing he'd play with was a wooden train set. so i bought him one, once we got home. d'you think he ever played with it? nope. cost me a fortune too. lol.

Ha funny story I don't think I would ever want to play a game or something involved with the hospital.

That's great your son is home now. I remember when the nurse told me yesterday I could go home. My parents weren't there and my mom left 20 minutes before I could go home. But I was so happy I thought they were joking because I was told I wouldn't be out by Wednesday at the earliest. Has he been doing his sitz baths.lol I need to go do one soon I'm a little overdo.

Jeff D. said:
Ha funny story I don't think I would ever want to play a game or something involved with the hospital.

That's great your son is home now. I remember when the nurse told me yesterday I could go home. My parents weren't there and my mom left 20 minutes before I could go home. But I was so happy I thought they were joking because I was told I wouldn't be out by Wednesday at the earliest. Has he been doing his sitz baths.lol I need to go do one soon I'm a little overdo.
He's supposed to do sitz baths but I think I don't quite have the hang of it.

We have the little plastic bowl that you put on the toilet and fill with warm water, and also we have a plastic bag that has a tube running from it - like a hose (similar to an IV bag). However, the water runs much too quickly from that.

So, we've improvised; first I just used a large cup and ran warm water down his backside a bunch of times while he was on the toilet, but this sort of became awkward. Now that we're back home I had him just take a shower after a bowel movement - a long, warm shower - which he liked, so we may try this method for a few days.

Will be glad to entertain any constructive criticisms on what I;m doing wrong with the sitz bath. (Probably the kind of thing I could see an instructional video on youtube - I used youtube recently to learn how to pull out an extremely loose tooth that my son had recently.)

Hi, I'm glad things went well for your son and he is back home. :)

Pharmacies sell small plastic tubs that fit over a toilet seat, or you can sit in a regular bathtub with a few inches of warm water. Most experts recommend a 20-minute sitz bath after each bowel movement and two or three times a day in addition. Take care to gently pat the anal area dry afterward; do not rub or wipe hard.

Cleanliness is important when using a sitz bath of any type. Cleaning and disinfecting the tub between each use can help ensure that future sitz baths will not promote infection.

I personally have just used the bath tub for a 20 minute sitz bath.

Hope these ideas help. :)

20 minutes after each BM and 3 other times? I'd be in the bathroom all day, glad I'm not needing those at the moment.

Nancy Lee said:
Hi, I'm glad things went well for your son and he is back home. :)

Pharmacies sell small plastic tubs that fit over a toilet seat, or you can sit in a regular bathtub with a few inches of warm water. Most experts recommend a 20-minute sitz bath after each bowel movement and two or three times a day in addition. Take care to gently pat the anal area dry afterward; do not rub or wipe hard.

Cleanliness is important when using a sitz bath of any type. Cleaning and disinfecting the tub between each use can help ensure that future sitz baths will not promote infection.

I personally have just used the bath tub for a 20 minute sitz bath.

Hope these ideas help. :)
Thanks for your ideas - it's exactly the kind of stuff I was wondering about. I'd want to make sure things are pretty clean for a sitz bath. Speaking of which, is it plain water that goes into the sitz tub?

Also, because of all the cleaning issues, that's why I thought maybe he can just take a quick shower a few times a day after bowel movements (after I clean him with "Wet Ones") - eliminates all the cleaning of the equipment.

Yeah now that I'm out of the hospital I take soaks instead of sitz baths. The sitz baths are annoying at best and the first thing you did was correct. He is just supposed to sit there and then allow the water to flow and then end the sitz bath.

Also for a shower I would really suggest using one of the shower heads that you can take off and spray yourself with rather than the normal shower heads. I have never been cleaner then when using those types of shower heads. They cost 20 to 30 bucks and you just untighten the old one and screw the new one on. I'm really not good at explaining plumbing over the net or anything.

After a minute clean I just make a soak and relax for 20 minutes or so.

Kev

Well, the sitz bath.. sometimes referred to as the plastic sombrero.. allows one to use water with a mild disinfectant in it.. I'm trying desparately to recall the name of it... (my oldest, as an infant, played Tarzan in the bathroom and drank a bottle of the stuff... meant a trip to the ER, but all was well.. tho no one recommends drinking this stuff).. Anyway, it eliminates any risk of contamination from the water or the sitz bath, and it reduces the chances of infection.

Kev said:
Well, the sitz bath.. sometimes referred to as the plastic sombrero.. allows one to use water with a mild disinfectant in it.. I'm trying desparately to recall the name of it... (my oldest, as an infant, played Tarzan in the bathroom and drank a bottle of the stuff... meant a trip to the ER, but all was well.. tho no one recommends drinking this stuff).. Anyway, it eliminates any risk of contamination from the water or the sitz bath, and it reduces the chances of infection.
You know, I'd probably feel more comfortable if it did have a disinfectant in it.

Thanks for raising the idea - I may check with our doctor, or maybe with a pharmacist.

Kev

I'm tempted to say it was Dettol (sp?) provided by the hospital. A capfull in a sombrero full of warm water. course, that name could be specific to Canada.

It was a disinfectant cleaner with.. turpentine, or kerosene in it, of all things.

confer with a doctor or pharmacist... don't experiment with anything else.
And stay away from hydrogen peroxide at all costs. That stuff is deadly...

Yes it is called Dettol Kev, and they used to put it in a sitz bath for
women who had just given birth and had an episiotomy.

However having said that...I am now hesitant to recommend something
that I can also use to scrub my floors with, on a very sensitive
body part as well.

At least check with your doctor and see what he suggests. :)

Dettol...wow, you sure bring back memories Kev..
I think about it and I can actually smell it!

(I must be as old as the trees) :lol:

I figured I could ask our pharmacist - not sure if it's better to ask my son's GI (he can be difficult to get ahold of).

i've used Dettol in bath water for hygiene purposes before now, also TCP (which smells horrid but is very good). but i've found the best, and gentlest on your skin, is Savlon liquid.

Kev

Welllll, I 'believe' that it was used to scrub floors... in the hospitals. Carried over into other areas. And I 'think' it is kerosene based.. that's how old this product is. And, NL, not just for episiotomies.. (and it's more important how you pronounce that word than how you spell it, seeing where it applies to)..
both my sons were delivered caesarian... simply because the first came via an emergency c section... and back then, once you did that, SOP was that was the way to go for future deliveries... ANYWAY.. 2nd son was c section. no episotomy.. but c-section sutures to tend to. Missus was given a sombrero, and a small bottle of Dettol. Her N my youngest had just come home from hospital. Bottle was full.. and kept out of reach on top shelf... literally over 6 ft off the floor... couldn't be reached by a child (or so we thought).. Just finished settling in mom N youngest.. my oldest 2 1/2 had gone to the bathroom.. he was potty trained, that's where we kept it.
He was in there longer than usual.. I decided to check. There he was, and happy as a clam.. smiling because he'd drunk the entire bottle of Dettol. He did so by climbing his potty onto the tub.. from the tub he climbed atop the toilet.. from there he climbed the bathroom sink... from there he climbed the window ledge... from there he climbed atop the very old cast iron radiator... (it had a wooden cover).. from there he could just reach the shelf... then he apparently retraced his steps. From there, he and I went to the ER... spent a glorious 5 1/2 hours there... while they monitored him.

Anyone ever wondered 'how' my hair turned grey? Here is just one example

i agree kev - i think i would still have grey-free hair if i hadnt had kids. dont they just take you to the limit of fear, and then some?? i've woken up to see blood streaming down one of my kids' faces, after she decided to 'shave like daddy', have also had to do the heinrich manoeuvre after she swallowed a drawing pin & started to turn blue. and thats just 2 examples of kid-panics that i've been through.

Kev

Oh, Lord... And then some.. When he was about 4, my oldest asked he if could pop next door (literally their place N ours was only separated by driveway) to visit the 4 yr old living there. My missus saw no harm in it, and let him go.. I would've done the same. Off he went, only to discover the 4 yr old neighbour didn't feel well, couldn't play in either their or our back yards. So, does mister decide to come straight back home? Nossir!!!
He decides he wants to go window shopping, apparently had seen some interesting toys the last time he was there WITH us in tow. Problem was he didn't ask permission, or for parental accompaniement, just set off on his own... despite it being about 1 1/2 - 2 FREAKIN MILES away. his AWOL status was discovered within about 1 hour, when the missus called next door to see if he was behaving... That's when the panic set in. She called me at work... about 20 miles away at the time, called the police, and called my father.. Between us all, we scoured the place, every nook and cranny.. checking all the most dangerous parts of town first.. dockyards, terminals, train stations, lakes... At about the 3 1/2 hour mark, my Dad found him at the Mall.. Now, I dont' know if Dad checked there on a hunch, or just from years of experience.. Anyway, as for mister, all was well. for us old folks, it was N remains an unforgetable afternoon. You know, for anyone who wants their kids to refrain from sex, all that is really needed is to compile stories like this, and make it required reading in elementary/jr high schools. It has 0 in the way of sex talk involved; but it just might scare the bejeepers out of teens wanting to try it. anyway, my apologies for hijacking this thread, OK?

FruitLoop said:
Hope he is feeling better soon.
Thanks for your thought. He played in a little league baseball game last weekend and did well.

Tomorrow he gets a second remicade infusion and might start 6mp.