• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My Story and Also Some Questions

Hi!
I'm a 16 year old crohn's patient who was diagnosed in 2009 when I was 12. I didn't have regular symptoms of crohn's, just the chills, a slight low grade fever, blood in stool, fatigue, headaches, and weight loss. The doctors didn't know what was wrong with me, so I had to go through a bunch of tests. They found out through a colonoscopy that I had Crohn's. I missed so much school that year. What my doctor decided to do was put me on a total liquid diet via tube feeding, which sucked. I also had steroids for a couple of months too. I gradually gained back my lost 20 lbs and felt much better. I also got to eat a little bit more too. After about a year and a half I stopped having the tube feedings and went on Pentasa and 6-mp. I was in remission for 4 years until just last August my doctor wanted a check up colonoscopy and MRI because my ESR and CRP rate was high. By that time I had switched to Lialda and kept on the 6-mp. I was very confused because I wasn't showing any symptoms at all except the occasional blood in the stool. I admit that I wasn't taking my medicine regularly too. The colonoscopy went great but the MRI showed some serious inflammation in the small intestine I think. I was shocked when he said I might have to go on Remicade. By this time it was in January, and I still had no symptoms. He said based on the inflammation in my small intestine, I would have severe cramping and fatigue but for some reason I felt fine! Anyway, I started taking my meds every day and taking a lot more vitamins too. We went to a second doctor for advice and she said either do Remicade or the liquid diet. I'm leaning towards a liquid diet right now. I get my blood test done in the middle of April and I see my doctor in March for the verdict. As of now I have no blood in my stool but I do get these unexplained very low fevers that go from 99.5-100 and they go away with Advil. I've only had 5 since January. But to my questions:
1. I'm going to college in 1 year and a half. If I do Remicade I really don't want to travel all the way to the doctors and back every 8 weeks for the IV. I'll probably be very busy too. What should I do with this decision?
2. Does anyone else get these unexplained fevers? I really don't know what to do with them. They usually come on around 7 pm and I get the chills too.
Thank you for reading my extremely long post!

SarahBear

Welcome to the forum, Astrodog!

1. I'm going to college in 1 year and a half. If I do Remicade I really don't want to travel all the way to the doctors and back every 8 weeks for the IV. I'll probably be very busy too. What should I do with this decision?
I'm not entirely sure what you mean. You can always talk to your current doctor about finding a doctor or center closer to your school to do the infusions for you. If your school is going to be far away, it wouldn't hurt to have a GI in that area who you can see in case of any emergencies, anyway.

2. Does anyone else get these unexplained fevers? I really don't know what to do with them. They usually come on around 7 pm and I get the chills too.
Thank you for reading my extremely long post!
I don't get them myself, but fevers are a common symptom of Crohn's. I'd say they happen in the evening because your body is starting to get worn out from the day. You know how when people are sick, they tend to feel worse in the evening as they get more tired? The timing probably just comes down to that.

Is there a reason you weren't taking your medication regularly? I know Pentasa has to be taken quite a few times throughout the day - was it hard for you to remember? Are you still taking medication now, and how long have you been taking it regularly?

Also, I suggest you stop taking Advil and switch to Tylenol. NSAIDS such as Advil are hard on the stomach and not recommended for anyone with IBD. Tylenol isn't an NSAID and can be taken.

I hope you get things figured out soon!

Welcome to the forum, Astrodog!

I'm not entirely sure what you mean. You can always talk to your current doctor about finding a doctor or center closer to your school to do the infusions for you. If your school is going to be far away, it wouldn't hurt to have a GI in that area who you can see in case of any emergencies, anyway.

I don't get them myself, but fevers are a common symptom of Crohn's. I'd say they happen in the evening because your body is starting to get worn out from the day. You know how when people are sick, they tend to feel worse in the evening as they get more tired? The timing probably just comes down to that.

Is there a reason you weren't taking your medication regularly? I know Pentasa has to be taken quite a few times throughout the day - was it hard for you to remember? Are you still taking medication now, and how long have you been taking it regularly?

Also, I suggest you stop taking Advil and switch to Tylenol. NSAIDS such as Advil are hard on the stomach and not recommended for anyone with IBD. Tylenol isn't an NSAID and can be taken.

I hope you get things figured out soon!
I'll talk to my doctor about the college situation. I guess I'm just stressing out about the whole thing lol. And thanks for the explanation about the fevers! I know this sounds really stupid and irresponsible, but I just became lazy and tired of taking my medicine. I would skip my morning doses on the weekends and if ran out of medicine, I would get it prescribed once I ran out, not when I had about 8 pills left so I could have a little leeway. That was pretty much the extent to how much I skipped. But ever since January I've been taking all of it with no skips. And I will try Tylenol! Thanks!

My son is 16 and he is on Remicade, he has to go every six weeks. He is also on methotrexate, as well.

He may luck out as his GI is part of a large group and they have an office in the town of one of the colleges he is thinking about attending. But your GI should be able to set you up with infusions in what ever college town you choose.

My son gets his infusion in his GI's IV lab, in office but you can also get them at the hospital which would be an option for you when you were at college.

Maybe though if you remain compliant with your meds it will take care of the inflammation you have now and will reflect that in your lab work when you go to your GI.

Good luck!