• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My Story from David

I have had Crohn's for about 12 years. Fortunately no surgeries have been required. For years I have controlled the disease with a specific diet of foods to avoid. On average I have a relapse every two years. In the last two months I have had frequent pain in my lower intestine and upper colon. This morning I cut out coffee which helped and am seeking input on a healthy bland easily digestible diet. I have other health problems so there are a lot of foods that others can eat that I can't. One in particular is bananas.

I take no meds for Crohn's and avoid them if at all possible because of the side effects most of them have. I do take pain killers and colon muscles relaxers frequently. In fact more lately than not. I am hoping to remove the pain with a blander diet. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Hi videopipe and welcome to the forum! :D

During a flare I go on the Low Residue Diet. Its a pretty simple one to follow and you can make just about any recipe low residue.

All medications come with possible side effects, even pain killers and muscle relaxers. I say possible because not everyone will experience side effects. Do you have regular tests done to check for inflammation and see what's going on inside (what's causing the pain)? While I understand your fears of side effects, the damage that Crohn's can do on its own untreated can be much more harmful than treating with medication. You can also monitor how you're doing on medication with blood work to catch anything before it becomes serious so even if you don't have any symptoms you can make sure that you're doing ok (I personally have blood work done once a month and don't suggest going over 3 months without blood work).

We do have a section on the forum for diet if you'd like to check it out: http://www.crohnsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17 Some members on the forum are treating with diet alone yet many do a combination of diet and medication. I'm sure you'll find a lot of helpful information in that section. :) Keep us posted.

My Doctor asks for a colonoscopy every two years but even with insurance I cant afford the copay. I am due for one but cant afford it. Any suggestions on how to afford all of the medical expenses associated with tests and doctor visits?

This is the first I have heard of blood tests for Crohn's. What can be determined by the tests? I also have nine other diseases so I am in constant contact with my general physician.

David