• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My story, I need support and advice!

My name is Gina and I have had Crohn's since 1989. I have been in a flare up for the past 6 months. I have been hospitalized 4 times during the past 6 months in our little small town hospital. They were only treating my symptoms, treating me like a drug seeker and sending me on my way. They finally referred me on to UAB school of medicine.....thank God!!!
Immediately, after getting in at UAB, they started testing. I started with the barium swallow xray. The results reveled that I have 3 or 4 partial blockages (strictures) and 3 very angry and inflamed area of Crohn's. Because of the results of the barium swallow....they ordered a colonoscopy. In the mean time while waiting to have the colonoscopy they were/are treating me with prednisone...to try to get down some of the inflammation. They wanted to go in and just see exactly what is going on. Unfortunately during the colonoscopy, they could not get past the first stricture to see what all is actually going on. They attempted to balloon this area.....but it was a FAIL!!!! So.....as of right now....I am scheduled for surgery next Thursday, December 19th. My surgeon at first told me that they would do an open incision surgery....now she has called to inform me that they will ATTEMPT to do it ROBOTIC. I am not so sure that I want the robotic surgery.
Let me also add....this will be my 3rd resection. The first being in 1990 and then again in 1996. Both of those surgeries being open incision surgery and both done at UAB. I was very pleased with the outcome of those surgeries, even though the hospital stay was a little bit longer. After the surgery in 1996....I was in total remission for 18 years and took no maintence meds. I can not complain....the past 18 years had been some of the best years of my life.
I also should add.....I have an identical twin sister that also suffers from this horrible disease. She has also had 2 resections (1st in 1989 and 2nd in 2011)and her longest remission was 22 years... Also no maintenance meds. WE ARE BOTH VERY LUCKY! We have 4 cousins ( in our generation) that also suffer from this horrible disease. So....it is hereditary! So far....none of our children have tested positive for anything other than IBS. But are very suspicious that 2 may also be suffering with Crohn's.
Can anyone please give me some feedback and support on the robotic surgery???? The thought of that has scared me to death!!! I just do not understand how a robot can go through all of my intestines and find the bad sections. These sections are not together....they are spaced out. And please keep me in your prayers! I am worried about my health and driving myself crazy while waiting on this surgery! I am so tired of being sick!!
Thank you and God bless!

Last edited:
If I were you I would would go with what I know and am comfortable with. Since you are a Christian I would also seek wise counsel and pray for wisdom in making this decision , and remember Romans 8:28 is for you what ever you decide.
Keep the faith.

There not really robots there set up and controlled by a very large team of doctors,so don,t be concerned,advantages are smaller incisions very fine tolerances and controls but they aren't,t self aware or intelligent,just a very accurate new tool in a surgeons armoury.good luck