• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My story of crohn 21 y/o

Hello, my name is Ralph, im 21 y/o, and i felt like i needed to express my story. Thanks a lot for reading. I have been diagnosed in december 2014, when they saw inflammation on the scan and an abscess. I had been put on pentasa because it was a mild case. I didnt really respond well to this medication and in march , i went to the emergency room because was feeling really sick and a lot of abdominal pain, and i lost a lot of weight, went down to 110 pounds for 6ft... I had another scan at this moment, and they saw a lot of infections and inflammation. So i had to stay at the hospital, to try to treat the problem with medications and antibiotics. It really didnt do anything after 3 WEEKS of being in there. After these 3 weeks, they said i might need a surgery. I was really anxious about this because ive never experienced this before. But when i met my surgeon, he was really attentive and really nice to me, i decided to accept to have a surgery. He told me i had like 1/5 chance to have an ileostomy when i wake up, but it would only been temporary, i didnt really care i just wanted to feel not sick anymore. So i got my surgery in May, and i woke up with an ileostomy. The first week after the surgery, it was really hard, had no appetite and lot of nausea. After a week, started to eat A LOT. i gained 40 pounds in 2 months, and was now at normal weight of 150lbs. On end of november, my surgeon offered me to have a stoma reversal. I Was really positive about it and the operation went super well. For 2-3 days after this operation, i didnt really have any bowel movements, and had a liquid diet. From about a week after this surgery, i started eating normal again, having 1-2 bowel bowel movements a day, the stools are perfect, im doing exercise, and im feeling so good. Havent taken a single medication since the first surgery in May 2015, to this day , the january 7th and i havent had a single pain or crohns symptom. :smile:

Last edited:
Thats awesome! I am where you started out as mild with Pentasa meication. Hoping I dont get worse though. Been feeling quite sick lately.