• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My story of living with Crohn's

Hello everyone! CYY are my initials, and I am a skinny 16 year old female from Singapore. I like reading non-fiction books about the sciences, pen spinning (and modding), as well as programming in C. I suffer from Crohn's, Supraventricular Tachycardia and chronic asthma.

Although I have been experiencing symptoms of IBD such as persistent watery diarrhoea (with rare intervals of constipation) and stomachaches for more than a decade, I did not bother to see a doctor. My family thinks that I'm just a weak and sickly person by nature, and that was one of the contributing factors of me not seeing a doctor.

About 3 months ago, my condition worsened so much that I was practically getting terrible stomachaches a few times a day. I was unable to eat much, and I was constantly in pain. Although there were a few occasions throughout the years where I had experienced such stomachaches before, but that day, I had had enough. That's when I decided to go see a doctor.

I got referred by my GP to a gastroenterologist, who did numerous tests on me. The full blood count showed that I was having an unusual number of white blood cells, the calprotectin test was at a whooping 949. Within a month, I was doing both a endoscopy and a colonoscopy. The endoscopy came back normal, but the colonoscopy revealed that my ileocecal wall was badly inflamed (so much so that the scope was not able to reach my small intestines to take a biopsy). So within two weeks, it was off to the MR Enterography I go.

The results of the MRE came back 3 days ago, and I was officially diagnosed with Crohn's, although the gastroenterologist had suspected it long before. I began Exclusive Enteral Nutrition treatment yesterday, and was feeling a bit low, so I Googled for a support forum and, well, here I am.

Hopefully through this forum, I would be able to make some friends who share the same experiences that I do, and understand how it feels like to suffer from this "invisible" disease. Thanks for stopping by to hear my story! :)

CYY

Welcome. Sounds like you have common or garden Crohn's of the Terminal Ileum. What happened in your colonoscopy is exactly what happened in mine.

Just been reading about pen spinning and modding. Wow - I had no idea that was a thing.

And I think you should learn C++.:D

Thank you ronroush7 and DEmberton for the warm welcome! Knowing that there're many people like me on this forum makes me feel less lonely already. It's really comforting to know I can share my thoughts and feelings with those who can easily relate to me. Whoever came up with the idea of this international support group is a genius ^^

@DEmberton the pen spinning/modding community is really really small, so most people don't even know that it exists at all. Apart from spinning and modding, I do (very) occasionally dabble in pen tapping, and I play the viola for my school's string ensemble as well. Although there's quite a lot on my plate right now, I'll be sure to pick up C++ in my free time! :)

(Side question: I'm not really sure how to tag somebody on this forum, so I'm using the "@" symbol followed by the person's username. Is that the way it's supposed to be done?)