• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My Story Short Version

Hello all, I'm excited to get going on this forum.

I was diagnosed with crohns disease in 2007. I was put on 5-ASA medications and began eating a clean diet; as a result I was in remission until 2009. I had a major flare, was bed ridden; constantly in and out of the hospital, infusion centers(blood/iron transfusions), doctors offices, you know the drill. During this time I was prescribed hydrocodone. As pain got worse, I got oxycontin and suboxone. I became addicted (as addiction runs in my family). I was so tired of feeling fatigued and lifeless all of the time so I buried myself in the warm blanket of opiates (and marijuana). I had to have 32 inches of my large intestine removed in July 2011. My bowel system has not been the same since; I get sick easier now than I previously did.

I eventually went into remission after drug use stopped (I entered recovery). It is more a partial re-mission as I would have serious diarrhea atleast once a week. Being sick all the time, was destroying my relationship with my wife and daughter. I decided to get on suboxone (buprenorphine/naloxone) maintenance since I'm an addict and have chronic pain. It has kept me pain free for quite a while. Although I still have occasional bouts that are extremely painful, and am nauseous frequently. Sometimes I take opiates for breakthrough pain but am able to manage them today with the help of my higher power and my AA family. The most recent visit with my GI doctor was interesting. He recommended I go to Colorado(if financially feasible) rather than stay on opiates my entire life. Granted this doc and I have known eachother a long time. I'm currently plagued with fatigue and depression as a result. The fatigue makes it difficult to stay up to speed with my 2 year old and causes tension between my wife and I. I can tell she is getting tired of me being sick. I know she will stay with me no matter what but I want to be completely symptom free. I'm going to experiment with a CBD tincture, will report back.

My current medications are Zubsolv, marinol PRN, promethazine, hydrocodone prn, clonazepam PRN for sleep.

Looking forward to meeting more chronies and others who tread through life with chronic diseases.

scottsma

Hello Andrew and welcome.You've really been through a tough time eh ? I'm not able to give you advice, other than to say I'm sorry you have to be here,but now that you've found us you will get lots of support and advice from others in a similar situation.You seem determined to get yourself on track for your family and yourself,and you've already made good progress in that direction.Well done and I hope you have a good day today.

My current medications are Zubsolv, marinol PRN, promethazine, hydrocodone prn, clonazepam PRN for sleep.
Hey Andrew, welcome to the forum.

I have to admit, I have not heard of any of those drugs before. Are you also taking something for long-term managements of Crohn's (azathioprine or 6mp or any of the biologics (humira, recmicade etc.))? From what you describe you have quite some troubles managing Crohn's (diarrhea once a week is definitely not remission...).