• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My story so far - high school senior diagnosed 2-3 months ago

I discovered this forum completely by accident, but I was compelled to join and I thought I would introduce myself.

My name is Josh. I’m currently a senior in high school, and I graduate in three weeks.
I was diagnosed with Crohn’s Disease 2-3 months ago.

I’m a gymnast, and outside of my high school season I use strongman and bodyweight training 3 days a week. About two years ago, I noticed a small change in my diet. I was eating less, but I was already eating a lot and so it was insignificant enough that it went unnoticed. However, over the next year and a half it escalated to the point where I couldn’t eat more than half a sandwich in one sitting. It happened gradually enough that I didn’t notice in the heat of the moment, but because of the high number of calories I was needing to take in because of my training, I began to lose weight. I was at around 8-10% bodyfat and so most of what I was losing was muscle, and by the time I was halfway through my senior year gymnastics season I had cut 15 pounds.

In January I saw a gastroneurologist for the first time, had a barium test and ended up going in for an endoscopy. They discovered several severe (some bleeding) ulcers, took some biopsies, and put me on Prilosec. After a second scope and my diagnosis 1-2 months later, I was put on Prednisone (steroid) and Pentasa. The Pentasa is a maintenance medication that is basically preventing my immune system from attacking itself, and the Prednisone has drastically decreased the swelling around the ulcers (resulting in the return of my appetite and almost 20 pounds).

Right now there are two things that are still unknown; why I initially contracted Crohn’s, and why I wasn't experiencing any pain or discomfort while I was losing my appetite and cutting weight…when I was diagnosed, my gastroneurologist said my case was “unique” because according to the doctors, I should have been in constant pain due to the severity of the ulcers. It’s a mystery to me.

I had spent the duration of my high school career training for the military; my intention was to go to college, enter a DEP when I arrived on campus freshman year, and take my sophomore year off to go into the Marine Corps. However, Crohn’s Disease is an automatic DQ from any branch of service. I have heard of a few people managing to get a waiver by somehow proving that their disease will not impact their military career (with Crohn’s, MEPS is worried about you having a flare-up out in the field), but for the most part it’s pretty cut-and-dry that I’m now disqualified.
Medication and diet changes actually haven’t been too difficult for me, but dealing with the fact that something I have been intensely preparing myself for (for years) is now inaccessible, has been the hardest part. I guess everyone has their one issue that they struggle with the most about their condition, and that one is mine.

That’s me in a nutshell. I’m very happy that I stumbled across this forum, there seem to be a lot of great people here with a lot of knowledge.

Pleased to meet you all!

Josh

Hi Josh & Welcome to the Forum:

Your story is similar, in many ways, to my daughter's story. She is 20 now and was diagnosed when she was 15 and had just started her freshman year of high school. Like you, she started losing lots of weight and had no pain at the beginning. Along with the weight loss, she also had high fevers. During the past five years she has been on and off prednisone several times and has taken a variety of other meds ranging from 6MP to Entocort to Remicade. Most of the meds she took helped at first, then would stop working, at which time her gastrointerologist would switch her to another med. In October of last year, we decided to stop all of the meds (which was Remicade, at the time) as the side affects were not pleasant and since they were not relieving her of her symptoms, we just knew that we had to use a different approach to try and control her symptoms. She did extremely well the first couple of months, achieving complete remission of all of her symptoms, and then she got the flu, which threw her into a severe flare. So bad, in fact, that she had to drop out of her second year of college just three months ago (she attends college in Massachusetts). She absolutely loves college and never thought in a million years that Crohns would cause her to drop out, but it did and she has accepted that. She is getting better everyday taking supplements and has enrolled for the fall semester as, no matter what, she will return to college in the fall. There is no doubt about that.

How well you cope with Crohns Disease has a lot to do with attitude and it appears that you have a good attitude and that will serve you well. If you can keep a positive attitude, it will make all the difference. I can just imagine how disappointed you must be with having to give up your dream of going into the military, but you will find and pursue another goal that is just as worthy as serving in the military. Although I am not in the military, I have hired many men and woman who have completed their active military service (I just hired a former captain who served with the Air Force) so I understand your commitment and appreciate your desire to serve this country, but you will find a way to serve. Just not in the capacity that you had planned. You just need to put a new plan/goal in place.

If you ever want to chat, please feel free to private message me. Just be sure not to lose your positive attitude. You can handle whatever Crohns has to throw at you. You can.

Take care.

Lisa :ghug:

Hi Josh. Welcome to the forum. To answer your question about pain. Not everybody get it. Which is so good for the lucky ones. I have a daughter who does not have it, and a son who does not show any usual symptoms. I am glad you have a positive attitude. Like Lisa said, I makes the difference. Why some people get Crohn's? There are a lot of opinions on that, depends who you ask. I am not sure, maybe genes. Sending hugs and support your way.

Jim (POPS)

Jim (Pops)
Josh,
Welcome to the forum, I'm so sorry you are going through this.

I went into the Army when I was your age (1968) I can understand what you are going through no being able to join now.

I regards to your pain issue. I never had pain with my crohns until after I was told I had it. I had a lot of "D" for years and was 61 when they told me I had crohns. Most people get it much younger than that.

You will find that this forum is a great place for support. I KNOW you will find a new road in your life that was ment to be. I hope to see you around soon and also hope that you get better soon.

Jim

Hi Josh & Welcome to the Forum:

Your story is similar, in many ways, to my daughter's story. She is 20 now and was diagnosed when she was 15 and had just started her freshman year of high school. Like you, she started losing lots of weight and had no pain at the beginning. Along with the weight loss, she also had high fevers. During the past five years she has been on and off prednisone several times and has taken a variety of other meds ranging from 6MP to Entocort to Remicade. Most of the meds she took helped at first, then would stop working, at which time her gastrointerologist would switch her to another med. In October of last year, we decided to stop all of the meds (which was Remicade, at the time) as the side affects were not pleasant and since they were not relieving her of her symptoms, we just knew that we had to use a different approach to try and control her symptoms. She did extremely well the first couple of months, achieving complete remission of all of her symptoms, and then she got the flu, which threw her into a severe flare. So bad, in fact, that she had to drop out of her second year of college just three months ago (she attends college in Massachusetts). She absolutely loves college and never thought in a million years that Crohns would cause her to drop out, but it did and she has accepted that. She is getting better everyday taking supplements and has enrolled for the fall semester as, no matter what, she will return to college in the fall. There is no doubt about that.
Wow. I am happy to hear that she's getting back on track! Thank you for your support.

Why some people get Crohn's? There are a lot of opinions on that, depends who you ask. I am not sure, maybe genes. Sending hugs and support your way.
The doctors are unsure if my case is genetic; I am the only person in my family who has been diagnosed. Right now they are leaning towards bacterial infection. Thank you for your support.

Josh,
Welcome to the forum, I'm so sorry you are going through this.

I went into the Army when I was your age (1968) I can understand what you are going through no being able to join now.

I regards to your pain issue. I never had pain with my crohns until after I was told I had it. I had a lot of "D" for years and was 61 when they told me I had crohns. Most people get it much younger than that.

You will find that this forum is a great place for support. I KNOW you will find a new road in your life that was ment to be. I hope to see you around soon and also hope that you get better soon.

Jim
Hi Jim,
Thank you for your service, as well as your understanding. I am currently trying to find what that new road is and where it leads to, although things like that in life are usually not discovered quickly. Exercise and strength training is my passion and the two haven't been inhibited too greatly by my diagnosis, and I have been considering opening a gym after college, as an alternative to military service while still helping people and doing something that I am interested in. I am planning on majoring in ministry and entrepreneurial studies in college, but we'll see how things turn out. I have an open mind.