• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My story...so far

Hello all,

I've been on the forum for about a month but just thought I would relive my story...

I started getting sick when I was 10 my stomach was hurting a lot and often and my parents started bringing me to doctor's offices. My mother was paranoid schizophrenic and bipolar, she was verbally and physically abusive... she was not a fan of modern medicine... not really sure why she took me to the doctors at all actually because all she did was yell at them and refuse to have tests done that they wanted to do to me. I saw so many different doctors who all suggested I get a colonoscopy and endoscopy, My mother shot them all down and we'd go get a "second" opinion. Without being able to do invasive testing the doctors usually took blood and ran tests for celiacs and other things... I always came up negative although i was put on a celiacs diet regardless. One doctor suggested i just drink ensure for meal replacement... i threw that up more than any regular food because it was disgusting. Also tried going lactose free and lactaid for awhile... not to too much avail though.

By the time i was 13 my family was used to seeing me walk around in my dads big T shirt with my pants mid-thigh because my stomach hurt so often. Entering middle school was incredibly painful... my stomach was extremely bloated/distended and I got made fun of all the time for being pregnant... I walk down the hall and they would laugh and say things and during recess id sit alone and boys would come up to me (goaded by their friends) and ask if I was pregnant... I cried a lot... I had never even been on a date... i barely left the house since i was sick all the time. I missed half of my 6th grade year because on the days i wasn't sick I pretended my stomach hurt just to stay home, I really hated being made fun of... I did all my homework at home and I'd go in and still pass the tests with flying colors.

After 6th grade my stomach problems died down a bit... i started eating somewhat normally again and going to school regularly...my stomach distension died down as well. I still avoided milk products kind of out of habit. I wrote off my mother when i was 18 and left for college... I am omitting a lot about my experiences with her as that is a whole other story entirely however I am pretty sure that her abusiveness was a major contributor to stress and my illness when i was younger. Anyways I had bouts of sickness on and off but nothing too memorable until my senior year of college.

In my senior year final semester everything started going downhill again with my stomach... I was throwing up all the time and was barely holding any meals down... my stomach was hurting a lot as well... I went to the doctors and they said they wanted to do an ultrasound... the woman doing the ultrasound asked me how many kids i had... I was 22... still a virgin lol. The doctor said the ultrasound showed "the beginnings of galstones" which he said was the problem... my pain was lower right... near my pelvic region... i knew he was wrong... they took my gallbladder out anyways... the day after my gallbladder was out i had pain and throwing up... my dad said it was probably the medication and i'd get better... I went back to school and continued being ill...I lost 20 lbs in a very short amount of time... and the pain was so intense I'd lie in bed crying and wishing for death. My dad took me to another GI who suggested a colonoscopy... being away from my mother we said YES immediately... things were a bit of a blur from there...after the colonoscopy ...and i mean right after *i was still under anesthesia* we were in a waiting room being admitted to the hospital... a few foggy hours later my GI was visiting me in a hospital bed ... he told me i had crohn's disease and needed emergency surgery... I was two weeks out from final exams and graduating from Cornell... I balled my eyes out... there was a massive scar tissue and inflammation blockage in my terminal ileum... he said the opening was no more than a couple cms... a day later i was rushed into early morning surgery. I threw up bile the day after my surgery so i had to have a tube down my nose that sucked all the acids out of my stomach that was probably the worst part... I was in the hospital for 12days after that... after 2months recovery i was symptom free ... its been a blissful 5 years...

Unfortunately about a month ago I've had a resurgeonce of symptoms... they are on and off... I had a CT scan done two days ago, on the drive home after the CT scan i started getting severe abdominal pain ... it was really intense pain and my stomach felt bloated... i took a short nap and when i woke up I began purging the barium sulfate they had me drink... I kept throwing up and having severe stomach pain for 3hrs... my fiance called the hospital who performed the CT scan and they said to come to the ER... we waited 4.5hrs ! ... my stomach was hurting so bad my fiance was pushing me in a wheel chair to and from the bathroom every 5 min... i was heaving up bile and started having diarrhea... when i finally got in I was dehydrated...thank god for morphine and zofran... they kept me for an extra day to make sure I could eat... I just got out today. I have a colonoscopy scheduled for the 13th of sept.

Sorry for the long loooong post just wanted to put my story out there... I've been worried about my re-surging symptoms and crying as I read all others stories so i thought I'd write mine down... any words of encouragement are welcome :( also they prescribed me Entocort for the first time.

<3 Sher
27 yr old F
currently on Asacol 800mg x3 daily
Entocort 8mg daily

DJW

Forum Monitor
Hi Sherada. Thank you for sharing your story. You have really traveled a rough road. Have you been able to graduate yet? Sending you my support and well wishes. Hang in there.

Hey sher,

I can't believe it took doctors 12 years (right?) to find out it was crohn's. I am really sorry for all of that pain you have gone through - i know middle school is the worst for the average teenager, but with stomach problems...let's just say that age group is the cruelest of them all. Anyway, unfortunately it is a disease where the severity of the symptoms can come in waves. You sound like a very strong and brave person to go through all of this, and I hope the medication and the upcoming colonoscopy goes well for ya!

Going in for my 3rd colonoscopy ever tomorrow... I am a little nervous in lou of the more recent issues I've had but since returning from the hospital and being on Entocort I have not had any symptoms and have been feeling great so I hope they do not find anything tomorrow :) wish me luck