• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My story

My name is Emily and I'm 18 years old. On my 7th birthday, after my party while all my friends were going home, i started to feel really crappy. We figured I ate too much cake so i went to lie down. A couple hours later i was in the ER. I was diagnosed with Crohns and was in and out of the hospital all year. When I was 8, we visited my grandma in New Jersey. On our way home we realized we had left all my pills there. (I was on lots of prednisone and pentasa) by the time they arrived in the mail, I felt 200% perfect!! Figuring that as long as i felt okay there was nothing wrong, my parents allowed me to stop taking the meds. I was in complete remission until this June when I went to NYC and had a AWFUL flare-up. I returned home in horrible pain, and this whole summer has been a blur of doctors visits, x-rays, scope tests, etc :( . Yesterday I went to the doctors for a final diagnosis. Turns out I need an operation to cut out the part of small intestine that is wayyyy beyond repair by december. This involves 2 months of prep with medication, the operation, 1 week in the hospital, and 2 months recovery.

I have been looking forward to moving in to college on August 24th for this past year. I have to take off the fall term for this :( 48 hours ago, I was getting ready for school, making sure i had everything, talking to my new roommate on facebook, getting ready to start something SOOOOO exciting. now everything is called off because of how urgent this surgery is. I have spent the last day crying and figured i needed support from you guys so here I am.
:'(

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Hi Emily!:welcome: Sorry you are having a rough time. I am sure your not going to school is a disappointment and you are eager to get on with your life and future. Sometimes we do fine without meds but most of us have to be on something....the nature of the beast.

You sound like you are in good hands with your upcoming surgery. Hopefully it is laproscopic and you will heal faster. I have had 2 resections and my first was the easier, laproscopic and meds before and after on an IV.

I know you are worried and scared but if we can help you through your journey with much ease as you need, we are here for you. There are lots of people here your age and we all help each other out. Ask any questions you like , none are dumb or tmi we are all in the same boat. Glad you found us, hope you join our community!!:smile:

ameslouise

Hi Emily - Sounds like you are going thru a rough time, and after such a nice long remission!

We'll help you pass the time between now and the surgery with support, advice, laughter - anything you need! Hang in there! - Amy

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hi Emily and :welcome:

I'm so glad you found your way here but so sorry that you needed to. :( What an awful time for you right now but we are here for you for anything you need including questions, info, a laugh and loads of :hug::hug::hug:

My daughter has Crohns and is your age and started university this year. She had the op you will be having 4 years ago and it turned her life around. I know it is scary and also disappointing when you had so many plans, so hey I reckon a damn good cry is just what you need and look, you've already made the first step to moving forward and tackling this head on, good on you!

As Jett said, there are heaps of young adults on here and you will be a very welcome addition. I hope you stick around so we can help through this.

Welcome aboard!

Thinking of you, :)
Dusty

Emily, All I can say is you have every right to cry, what a major disappointment at a time that should be exciting and happy about building a future. Now unfortunately your new focus has to be to take care of your self as best you can and get healthy, nothing else matters right now except your health, put all your effort into it. But based on what your summer has been like you obviously know how demanding crohns can be.

Whatever question you have about this disease someone here will know something, will have gone through it and can help you out. And those who don't know the answers or details will just cheer you along!

Take care, Scott

Emily,
Sorry to hear things are so bad for you. Like you I was eager to start college and live it up. This is my second year and just being diagnosed I find it rather difficult to attend school full time. I hope things look up for you soon and the surgery goes well. Keep us updated.

Astra

Hi Emily
and welcome

This is just a postponement, it doesn't mean you're not going to college, it means that you are eventually, but free from pain, and it will change your life forever!
You are young, recovery will be quick, then you have the rest of your life to be care free and happy!
Try to focus on the here and now, focus on getting better and put your plans on the back burner for a while, keep in contact with friends on FB, and I'm sure your college can provide you with copies of the term's syllabus to read up on whilst at home recovering. (my daughter is 18, and these are the words that I would say to her)
I wish you well, you'll be fine, and we're always here for you!
lotsa luv
Joan xxx

Dexky

To save time...Ask Dusty!
Hi Emily, sorry about your situation!! Is there any way you could take a few classes on-line this fall just to get your feet wet? It might be nice to get a few hours of electives out of the way and it would give you an idea of collegiate expectations. Just a thought:). Welcome to the forum!!

Hi Emily. I can't say much more than the rest of my friends said other then Hang in there. Like I say. Crohns isn't the end of the world, it just a differant way of living your life. Get your surgery and than you can hit the books. What are you going to take in College.

Good luck, new friend.

I'm just revisiting this thread now and all I can say is that I love this forum. Everything everyone said turned out to be true and you guys are just great. I'm glad I'm here, even though it took being miserable to find you guys :hug::wub:

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Hey Emily we are all here for the same reason, some come and go but the disease still takes a toll on most of us. This is a great place to meet people, learn all you can and be crazy at the same time lol ...we understand your life! ;)