• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My story

Let's see. I suffered a Traumatic Brain Injury eight years ago. Heavy duty medications/ therapies/ being on feeding tubes and months in hospital. About 4 years ago started experiencing stomach issues, mostly nausea and pain, and was given a diagnosis of gastritis, due to heavy medication use, between painkillers, acetometaphine, etc. I was prescribed prescription Zantac, which controlled everything for the time being. After going through an extremely stressful situation last January, my stomach issues began to worsen. I started with even more nausea/vomiting, and added in severe cramping, urgency and constant diarrhea. I contacted my GI, who upped my dose of Zantac for the time being. By March, I had lost about 10 pounds, which I contributed to stress, and the Zantac was doing nothing to help. Since I was out of the country, doing Public Health Outreach in Haiti, I was then tested for every parasite out there, with negative results. I then went through an endoscopy and colonoscopy which showed severe iletitis. My doctor was still hesitant to label me with Crohns or Colitis, and I was still loosing weight. From January '11 to April '11, I had lost close to 30 pounds. I then went through lower and upper gi series, and was then put on Pentasa, and Bentyl. I also had high levels of ASCA antibodies. Since my full diagnosis, in May of 2011. I have had a few flare ups, ended up in the emergency room 4 times from dehydration, but overall the Pentasa has worked wonders. I have gained 20 pounds back, have had no accidents, and definitely less frequent diarrhea and nausea. Though I am still trying to figure out triggers, and have been eating a very strict diet, I am happy that I finally have a diagnosis. I am so new to this disease, and am still learning my body. Right now, I have to stay away from any high fiber foods, along with anything greasy. Surprisingly I can handle lactose pretty well. I know that I have a long road ahead of me. I just am glad I finally have an answer.

I am currently a semester away from finishing my Master's, and am 23 years old. As with most Crohn's patient's stress is definitely a huge trigger, and with school its extremely hard to avoid. I feel that it also has taken part of my life away, with constantly worrying about bathrooms, bathroom issues, and not being able to go out enjoy food or drinks. I have found it also hard to tell others about my disease, for it definitely isn't glamorous and I have had a few icky accidents. I know it will all get better in time, I just need to be patient, and learn more.

Jessi

Hi Niki and welcome! I'm glad you were finally diagnosed. "Knowing" is half the battle.

I suffered a traumatic brain injury about 5 years ago. Ended up with a concussion, but better now. :) Yours sounds much more severe than mine, though.

I hope the Pentasa continues to work for you. :hug: It's great to get your life back after so much agony. Stick around and feel at home here. :)

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
:welcome: niki.. Glad you found us, great people here to give you some insight. You are right that diet is important, some of us are on low residue diets and avoiding dairy. Everyone is different in the disease as well as symptoms and triggers.

Try using digestive enzymes, they do help break down the foods and absorb the nutrients. Hope you continue to do well. What are you getting your masters in? I know you are going to make it, Kudo's for you!

David

Co-Founder
Greetings and a most sincere welcome to you! :) I'm glad you found your way here.

Would you be willing to share your strict diet? I'm curious :) And are you taking any supplements such as vitamin B12 and vitamin D?

All my best to you!