• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My story

Im a 26 yr old f and have had uc for 4yrs now. My main problem is the emotional affect uc has as i always feel embarrased about what i have and my biggest fear is havin surgery and having a bag as i dnt know how id cope with the embarrsment of this bein single i also fear how on earth i will meet someone and havto explain such an embarrasing disease to them, will i be on my own forver as i fear this will hold me bk does anyone else have these thoughts i wish i didnc have this disease :(

David

Co-Founder
Hi there and welcome.

Your feelings are understandable. Any form of inflammatory bowel disease can be tough and it's easy to be embarrassed by some of what we go through and face. But there ARE a TON of amazing people out there who don't care about any of that and will love and support you regardless.

The big key though is getting healthy and into remission. That makes things so much easier all the way around :) How are you feeling these days? And what medications are you on?

KF,

Sending support your way!!!
I ditto what David said. You will find so much support on here and valuable information.

Research this site and feel free to ask any questions.
take care and let us know how you are doing

Welcome to the Forum. I wish I didn't have Crohn's, too, and I really feel for you and understand your fear for the future. But life with IBD can be positive and and you can find someone who will be right for you - just ask Samboi (I'll let him come on and tell his story ;) ) It might not be straight away, but then it often isn't for people who do not have a disease like ours.

First, though, we need to get you feeling more positive about yourself. As David says, you need to get as healthy as is possible for you. In the mean time you need to be able to control your symptoms as well as possible. There are lots of people on here who will help you with that - you just need to ask and don't be afraid to do that. We are all in this together. :)

Then you need to look at the things that you can do that will enable you to get out and meet people. Do you work or study? Does your family understand about your UC?

Let us know more about yourself and join in the discussions here. :hug:

Hi david thanks for the reply well im on azathioprine ,mesalasine and mesalasine enemas at the min althouh the enemas dnt seem to be working and have been using them fir a few week now after having a sigmoidoscopy ( which was awful :( ) and discovering that the ulcers were inflammed along the rectum . I dnt have diarrhoea at the min so i guess im lucky that way but i do feel the urgency to go to the toilet quite a lot and pass blood and mucus. Another symptom i have is im very gassy and can often hear the gas bubbling away inside me and oddly down my lower back which is very embarrasing ! Have u got any tips to stop getting gas or any good diet tips to help with my symptoms ? Many thanks. And thanks for listening this forum is great i would never be able to say all this infront of anyone !

Hi susan thanks for the reply :) it feels good to know im nt the only one going through this ! Yes i so work but try nt to let ppl know what i have unless absolutely necessary as i find it embarrasing talking about what i have as ppl often dnt know what it is so then i have to go through on detail. If i could just get my body to respond to the medication And get better :(

Another symptom i have is im very gassy and can often hear the gas bubbling away inside me and oddly down my lower back which is very embarrasing ! Have u got any tips to stop getting gas or any good diet tips to help with my symptoms ? Many thanks. And thanks for listening this forum is great i would never be able to say all this infront of anyone !
There was a thread about this recently on this forum. Quite a few of us have noisy intestines. It is embarrasing, but other people may not care about it as much as you think. You might find it gets worse after certain foods. I think there are some meds designed to get rid of trapped wind, though those never worked for me.

I was so embarrassed when I first got ill. It took a while but I did get over that.

I wouldn't worry about the disease effecting your chances of a relationship - you'll see there are lots of people here who have partners. It may take some explaining, but a lot of people are able to understand and won't be put of by it.

Thanks for the reply :) so im nt the only only one getting these weird gassy noises , thanks for the support aswel :)

Have you spoken to many of your friends about it? I've found that my close friends have all been really understanding of my problems (only diagnosed last week, but I've had ongoing symptoms since early this year).

Hi yeah i have and they are understanding although they dnt really know th ins and outs of all my symptoms, the only one who fully understands is my mother, what would we do without them !

Hi Kf1986
Susan2 is right - it is possible to meet somebody who is unfussed by IBD and stomas.
I met an amazing lady in Nov last year.
Our second and third dates ended up being in hospital.
She has been fantastic and very supportive.
She's put me on a dairy and gluten free diet - which has been great.
It's early days yet - so who knows what our future holds.
But so far - she's a keeper.
Hope you have as much luck as I have enjoyed!