• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My story

My name is Susan. I am a 30 year old mother of one. :ysmile:
I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis in August 2010 when my son was 18 months old. I was having a relapse then. I started Copaxone in September 2010, another relapse in Jan 2011. Mostly symptom free since with with the exception of fatigue and exasperation of old symptoms due to other illness.
I have been on B-12 injections and Vit D2 (50000 IU weekly) for over a year.
On to my Crohns.....
I went to the Urgent Care on a Friday due to terrible pain in my lower right abdomen. I was told it was a cyst on my ovary or my appendix. I had no other symptoms. They did a CBC and my white cell count was high, but only a little. I was given pain meds and told to go to ER if I wasn't better in 24 hours, otherwise see an OBGYN asap. I was some better the next day, so I did not go to the ER. I made an appt with OBGYN the next Monday. Had some pain over the next week, much milder than it had been, no vomiting, which I was to watch for.
OB did an exam told me to come back the next day for a pelvic ultrasound to diagnose ovarian cyst, I felt pretty good until that night. Tuesday morning I report to her office for my ultrasound I was so weak and sick I was afraid to drive myself. She found a cyst on my left side (pain was on right). She also found lots of free fluid in my abdomen. I also had a fever so she did another check of white cell count and sent me to the ER for a CAT scan. Cat scan showed inflammation in my small intestine. I was admitted to hospital for further testing, IV antibiotics, and a consult with a GI doctor. Saw the GI doctor about 24 hours later. Ordered me to prep for colonoscopy. He found 9 ulcers and took biopsy's. I was released from hospital with scripts for Pentasa, Flagyl, and Cipro. I was also instructed to follow a low fiber, low residue, low lactose diet until I was seen in his office in one week. Went back to doctor was told to continue meds and diet until I could be seen at UPMC. This doctor said he would not treat me because I have MS and he didn't really have any knowledge with it.:ywow:
I went to see family for Christmas. Ended up in the ER with pain and nausea. Another CAT scan which still showed inflamation in the same place. Was given IV steroids and a taper to follow for 10 days twice a day, doubled cipro, and Zofran.
I have an appointment on Tuesday with the Digestive Center and Neurology department.
In the mean time, I feel like I am starving to death. I have been really good on my diet until yesterday. I ate an apple fritter which gave me terrible diarrhea (which I have never had a problem with). I eat small meals often and have been drinking muscle milk. Any other suggestions? I have been taking the Zofran pretty regular, but am now wondering if the is reflux or something, although the meds seem to help. I also have a prescription for Adderall ER for my fatigue related to MS. I have been having to use that more often just to get though the day. I have been warned about using it too often and it losing it's effectiveness and then I will have no help at all. :stinks: Is the same thing true for the Zofan? I plan to ask my new dr to check my Vitamin D, B12, and to be referred to a dietitian. Any other suggestions?
Can anyone with both disease offer me help or at lease hope!?!?!?
Thanks for reading! I am excited to learn all that I can about my new disease, in combination with my old. :eek2:

Hi Susan and :welcome: I am Susan2/too.

I really just want to say "Hi" and that I'm glad you have found this Forum. I see that you have also posted in the MS and Crohns thread and hope that you will get some help there.

Angrybird

Hello and welcome to the forum :).

The only thing I was going to suggest was with regards to the feeling so hungry is to see if you can get some proper nutritional shakes prescribed (something like Modulen) as these may help with calorie intake without upsetting your tum. These usually get sorted by a dietician so they can keep an eye on how you are doing but also they calculate the correct amount shakes that you will require a day.

Please keep us updated on how you get on.

AB
xx

SarahBear

Welcome to the forum, Susan!

I'm sorry you're feeling so bad. How long have you been diagnosed and taking medications? Are you still taking the Pentasa?

I hope things get better for you soon, Susan. :hug: